My weekend fun - Pic Heavy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BSea

BSea

1st off is a Long Clicker with a black, brown & silver blank I call Comstock Lode for the silver mine in Nevada. I wanted a PR blank that was more for men. Lets face it, more PR pens go to the girls rather than the guys.

1_Comstock_long_Click_1_small.JPG

Next up is a closed end Jr Victor from Timberbits. It's wrapped in Desert Ironwood. This blank had several inclusions & cracks. I went back & forth on what to do on either filling the cracks or leaving them. In the end I decided to leave them. The reason is because I used walnut oil & a Pens Plus finish using the method developed by mikespenturingz. What do you think, should I have filled all the voids?

1_DIW_Closed_End_Jr_Victor_1_Small.JPG

1_DIW_Closed_End_Jr_Victor_2_Small.JPG

Finally are a set of twin Sierras (Ok, they're fraternal, not identical:rolleyes:). One's a long click (CSUSA I think), and the other a stylus Sierra from Timberbits. I modified the length of the click pen so it would be the same size as the stylus pen. Both pens are made from the same exact blank (Red Velvet). One was reverse painted black, and the other was reverse painted red.
1_Twins_1_small.JPG

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tom T

Wow, wow, and wow. Thank you or sharing those pens. I like wood to be wood. I always leave cracks and nots, and finish in friction polish type finish.

islandturner

Outrageously nice job on all of them. That's a great idea, with the Jr. Victor -- the matching finial and closed end look outstanding. I have a couple of those kits, and may have to give that a try.

SteveG

All pens VERY, VERY nice. It looks like the DI pen has a mellow, low gloss finish, which looks outstanding. Nice work!

For what it is worth (one man's opinion), I ALWAYS fill cracks, and almost always fill voids. If your opinion is to do it different, then we are even!:) Is it not possible to fill cracks and use the finish that you selected?

Steve

BSea

All pens VERY, VERY nice. It looks like the DI pen has a mellow, low gloss finish, which looks outstanding. Nice work!

For what it is worth (one man's opinion), I ALWAYS fill cracks, and almost always fill voids. If your opinion is to do it different, then we are even!:) Is it not possible to fill cracks and use the finish that you selected?

Steve
Yes, it's possible. But I wanted a more natural look to this pen. I have another piece will bigger cracks I think I'm going to fill with turquoise chips.

But I need a break after this pen. With all the crack & inclusions, I really had to go slow being a closed end. Although most of the flaws were in the cap. It took over an hour to turn the barrel down because of limited tailstock support. That was my own fault though. I Just rounded it to 3/4 before drilling. I should have gone closer to 1/2 before drilling and using the closed end mandrel.

MikeL

I was looking at some show off your pen chronicles and I still have many, many to look at but have to say that desert ironwood is stunning. Sorry I missed it but just had to give it a bump! Very nice!

eranox

They're all beautiful, but I have to concur: the desert ironwood is the standout! If the pen is for personal use or a gift, I like the idea of keeping it natural. If it's for sale, a customer might mistake the inclusion for a crack and think they were buying a damaged pen. You really outdid yourself with the finial and the closed end! I can't wait to see your inlay work with the turquoise.

BSea

I was looking at some show off your pen chronicles and I still have many, many to look at but have to say that desert ironwood is stunning. Sorry I missed it but just had to give it a bump! Very nice!
I go back and look at the old posts too. What's interesting, is to see the methods that were popular a few years ago, are different from now. And thanks for the nice comments.

I really like all of them but that desert ironwood is a stunning pen. Great job...
Thanks Mike! I used your method for finishing this pen. That has become my goto method for most hardwood pens.

They're all beautiful, but I have to concur: the desert ironwood is the standout! If the pen is for personal use or a gift, I like the idea of keeping it natural. If it's for sale, a customer might mistake the inclusion for a crack and think they were buying a damaged pen. You really outdid yourself with the finial and the closed end! I can't wait to see your inlay work with the turquoise.
Thanks for the nice comments! I don't have any pens that aren't for sell, but I don't sell many pens (or make a lot either). I have used this one on a few occasions, but not as a daily pen. If someone comments on the cracks, I'll explain about DIW. If I lose the sale, then that's OK.

Wow! Excellent job! I would have filled the cracks with black CA, but the red ones are my favorites Your blanks are awesome, thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom