My Virgin Pen. 1st One to Make.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rounder

Rounder

I finally got to make my first pen last Sunday(2/7). Since I don't have a place to set up the lathe I got for my birthday, I went to my son's house and turned it on his lathe. He supervised me but I did all the work. This was made with desert ironwood purchased from shadetree_1. He has some pretty wood.
All opinions welcome as that is the only way for me to get better. You have to know other people's point of view. Thanks all and this is a great site.

Attachments

• 1st Pen #1.jpg
    1st Pen #1.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 414
  • 1st Pen #2.jpg
    1st Pen #2.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 292
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turbowagon

Very nice first pen! Definitely keep this one for yourself! Great choice with the desert ironwood.

- Joe

robutacion

Gezzzz Randy, if that is your first pen, I will certainly be looking forwards to see your work is 12 months time, mate...!!!:wink:

Great wood colours and beautifully put together, finish and fit...!:biggrin:

Get that work-shop set up for you ASAP, don't loose the "moment" you are on, it will make feel real good...!:)

Good luck...!

Cheers
George

omb76

Wow, great looking pen! I really like the shape of the lower barrel. One suggestion would be to taper the top barrel a little more where it meets the end cap. That is just a matter of personal preference though.

Timebandit

Hey Dad.The pen looks great!

Enter it in one of the contests,i think you will do just fine!!You did a great job on this pen and i know you will progress quite quickly!I had a lot of fun directing you and look forward to seeing your shop setup at home,someday,LOL!Now we need to work on your camera skills.If you can make it back down here we can take some pics in my photo booth and get some nice shots of it.If it wouldnt have taken so long to make it the other day i would have taken pics before you left.We will get some good shots of it eventually though.

Justin

Last edited:
I'm impressed! Excellent first pen Randy. Custom, no center band! Don't tell me you've conquered the dreaded CA finish already?

Rounder

I'm impressed! Excellent first pen Randy. Custom, no center band! Don't tell me you've conquered the dreaded CA finish already?

Don't know that the word "conquer" would be applicable on the finish. Again, I had some great direction from Timebandit, my youngest son. Had 1 place that had to be sanded some because I didn't keep the old hand moving quick enough. Had to watch the paper towel sticking also if I hung around on the pen to long.
I think I agree on the fact I should have tapered it a little more at the bottom of the top section. The line would have looked a little smoother.
You all are making me a little red faced:embarrassed: with all the great compliments. I have seen some really beautiful pens on here. Hard to imagine coming anywhere close to them. But a big THANK YOU anyway.:)
Already have it entered in the B-Day bash. Looks like some tough competition there though.

PaulDoug

That is a beautiful pen. Love the wood and what you did with it. AND, being able to do it with a son,, (or a daughter) you are a lucky man.

Rounder

That is a beautiful pen. Love the wood and what you did with it. AND, being able to do it with a son,, (or a daughter) you are a lucky man.

Yes, it was some very quality and much enjoyed time. And I think it is great to be able to learn from your kids. Means they turned out well in spite of the parents, lol.

wiset1

That's a sharp looking first pen. Looks like you have the talent to design and turn some amazing pens in the future. I agree, you should enter it in the contest.

MatthewZS

I have to say I'm a little jealous. That's great! Love how the figure of the wood plays into the shape of the body of the pen. Very, very nice!

I was thinking the same thing..... the whole thing really blends together well. Overall, very nice looking. I can't think of anything I'd say could be better.

Rounder

Thanks to all for the very kind comments. I am either going to have to spend some bucks on a shop or make more trips to my sons house and take over his lathe, lol. I am the Daddy you know. We do have certain privlages we are entitled to. Don't we?

Top Bottom