My very first Pen!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jarod888

Jarod888

Hi all! I have been lurking here for a while; reading, learning, and browsing mostly. I finally acquired all of the necessary items to turn pens. Actually, I have been collecting pen blanks for some time (~ 4 or 5 years), in anticipation of starting this fun hobby. Today I turned my first pen. It is a slimline version using a leopard wood blank. I attempted a CA finish but it didn't turn out as well as I thought. I sanded the blank to 600 grit. I also sanded it with some 3M polishing paper. It goes from 30 micron to 1 micron, but I wasn't too impressed with it. I think I will pick up some of the sanding pads which go up to 12000 grit, as I think they will produce better results. I also need to pick up some CA accelerator because I think it will help produce a better CA finish.

I decided to start a journal documenting each pen I turn. I think that it will be fun to look back at some point in the future and see how my skills have progressed.

Overall, for my first attempt I think it turned out pretty well. It took me about an hour from start to finish. I could have spent more time on it but I had to leave to build a pirate ship and I wanted to show it off to the people I was working with.

Here are a couple of pictures I snapped with my cell phone. They are compressed so that they are more viewable on the web, so sorry about the quality.

I would love any tips and suggestions. Thanks!

7sc35.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rich gubbin

Pretty good for a first attempt. For an easy finish start sanding with 180 grit and work thru 240 320 400 and finally 600, then 0000 wire wool with the grain. When you happy with this try using HUT friction stick, just apply with the lathe running and buff again with lathe running. The 12000 you mentioned starts around the 1500 grit and is better on acrylics than wood.
All the best with this highly addictive hobby.

navycop

Good Job. I wish I still had my first pen (gave it to my friend). I like the "hairclippy" thing you used to pose the picture. Keep up the good work.
Don't lurk anymore.. I want to see other pens in the future..
PS You might want to add where you from in your profile.

Jarod888

I updated my profile. I currently reside in Denver, Colorado. I have a few pens to make for a couple of friends, and then I will make some for the Freedom Pen Project for the troops. I don't know how many I will be able to make, so I haven't posted in that thread, but I should be able to get at least 5 or so done before June.

jonrms

once you practice more and develope your own technique you will be able to make 5 in a 2-3 hours easily dependant on kit and material... but for now focus on one step at a time and trying to get each 100% right.

you have done a fantastic job to start with!!! keep going... snakewood is a nice looking wood... very underated.. I love it personally... I would also say use burnishing cream and canuba wax to finish.

seamus7227

You will look back on here in a couple of years and realize how much you have learned and progressed. Very well done, the sky is the limit!

Jarod888

I made two more pens today. The first two pictures are Blue Mahoe, the national tree of Jamaica. The second two are pheasant wood. The pheasant wood had some worm holes which survived the turning.

I think my finish went better today. Each took about an hour.

64rsr.jpg

u6ocu.jpg

ihm2v.jpg

tzrmy.jpg

Last edited:

navycop

Another spetacular job.. There are some good threads about photographing pens. As you get farther down the road and start making more and more pens, this information will come in handy...

Jarod888

Right now I am using my cellphone, because it is easier to set up than my 7d. I have a Macro stand, and I may try that. Photography is another hobby of mine, so any and all information is helpful. I will do some more reading in that section. To be honest in my lurking here, I haven't spent much time in that section of the forum.

navycop

Right now I am using my cellphone, because it is easier to set up than my 7d. I have a Macro stand, and I may try that. Photography is another hobby of mine, so any and all information is helpful. I will do some more reading in that section. To be honest in my lurking here, I haven't spent much time in that section of the forum.

No problem. I (and the guys can back me up) just want to make sure your pens get the attention they deserve.

Top Bottom