My Very First Pen!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from candy1land

candy1land

Hello all! I just joined the forum this month and tonight I just got home from my first beginner pen turning class at woodcraft! I made my very first slim line pen tonight out of maple. I'm so excited I CANNOT wait to do another one.

I walked out of the class and bought my brand new Delta VS Lathe and once I pick it up this weekend with some turning tools I will be off to create more and more! I love this stuff!

Thanks to everyone who has given me advice and help up to this point. Now that I've actually done one I know a lot more about what I've been reading! :)

Candy

Attachments

• IMG_0515.jpg
    IMG_0515.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 393
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ngeb528

Nice job, Candy.
The fit looks perfect. Congrats and welcome to the insanity club. It's nice to have more women around.

glwalker

Welcome and very nice job on your first pen. What finish did you use? I agree with others that pen turning becomes addictive....... but its cheaper than therapy (for me at least).

jusjoe

Congratulations. I how you find it as relaxing as I do. I used to have time to build furniture, but if was months before I had enough time to finish a project. I can always find time for turning a pen. Feels good doesn't it.

Joe

candy1land

Yep, I sure did jump into this with both feet. But thanks to this forum I don't feel completely lost and out of control yet! : )

It's just a Mylands finish...with a nice piece of paper towel I had to remove half way through. LOL But the maple takes that finish nicely and shines right up. I'm looking forward to experimenting with other types of finish now that I did an easy one to start. It was even complete with a nice little burn from the heat/friction of the wood. I was wondering why the paper towel felt so hot.

Candy

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Great Pen!!!

Now, make your second one and PUT AWAY the first. (I wish I had done that!!) Some day you will get great amusement, looking at it.

jkeithrussell

It is a treat to open a "my first pen" posting and not see something that looks like a snake digesting a pig (referring, of course, to the bulge shape). Good pen, and welcome.

candy1land

I thought about this today as I've been using it at work. I think it will go in a box once I make Pen #2! Great suggestion.

Thanks

Great Pen!!!

Now, make your second one and PUT AWAY the first. (I wish I had done that!!) Some day you will get great amusement, looking at it.

MrPukaShell

Welcome, you are almost a neighbor. Just think, no running around to the malls looking for the perfect Christmas gift. Everyone's getting pens! Once again welcome to the addiction.

Robert

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Congrats, Candy! You really did a nice job with that pen. I'm sure its better than my first . . . 19 or so:rolleyes:.

Welcome aboard. I got hooked the same way. I left my first class with two wood pens and a certifacit of compleachion with my name on it. I found a deep Oak frame, and mounted the pens and it, and hung them on my wall.
It reminds me where all my extra money is going these days. I think it was cheaper to smoke. And I was a 3 pk + person

jttheclockman

Candy

I would like to welcome you to the land where things go round and round. It is a very addictive hobby. Your first pen should be treasured and kept. You can always look back and compare your 1000 pen to this one then. Very glad you did not go the big bulge route on the design. Most newbies start out making big bulges and this to me distracts from the pen lines. Good job and keep showing us your progress and always we are here for your questions and comments.

candy1land

Nice work, Candy! You are officially "in"!

Haha!! I knew I could get into this club somehow! : )

Thanks for all of the kind words and well wishes as I currently sit and stare at bags and bags of pen "stuff". I get my new lathe tomorrow so Round 2 will happen then!

I'm so looking forward to all of the lessons yet to be learned with this turning hobby......"thinking to myself....what is all this glue for again?" LOL Just kidding! I can't wait to experiment and play with all sorts of pen kits and materials to make them.

I am sure once the lathe is set up and running my questions will once again be non-stop. My next area of mastery is going to be the dreaded skew! I will be buying one tomorrow after I test drive a few of them. I'm not afraid, I just want to learn it quickly and learn it well.

Wish me luck!

Candy

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Haha!! I knew I could get into this club somehow! : )

Thanks for all of the kind words and well wishes as I currently sit and stare at bags and bags of pen "stuff". I get my new lathe tomorrow so Round 2 will happen then!

I'm so looking forward to all of the lessons yet to be learned with this turning hobby......"thinking to myself....what is all this glue for again?" LOL Just kidding! I can't wait to experiment and play with all sorts of pen kits and materials to make them.

I am sure once the lathe is set up and running my questions will once again be non-stop. My next area of mastery is going to be the dreaded skew! I will be buying one tomorrow after I test drive a few of them. I'm not afraid, I just want to learn it quickly and learn it well.

Wish me luck!

Candy
Good luck Candy . You'll be fine . Great start .

bitshird

Say hello to the addiction, and good bye to your money, and believe the next tool, or supply you purchase will make your work much better, at least that's what I tell my wife.
By the way nice pen for your first one.

Top Bottom