My very first ever try

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Eaglewood

Eaglewood

I saw this place and decided to try my hand. I picked up a pen kit at woodcrafters suppy. I have LOTS of different material available to me-- Meteorite, Wooly Mammoth tusk, mastadon teeth, exotic hardwoods, casted material-- the list goes on and on.
So I tried a terst piece. Now mind you I didnt do the conventional way of doing this, so there are some flaws and such.

Bu this is wooly mammoth tusk on this one.

Ill do some better pictures later

Attachments

• IMG_20121112_134255_097.jpg
    IMG_20121112_134255_097.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 597
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Eaglewood

Welcome to the addiction. Good start there. Might I suggest you use some more common materials until you get things figured out, though?

What is your unconventional method?

Ive never been one to follow rules:bulgy-eyes:so thus the wooly Mammoth tusk--

I actually made my own jig for the lathe and sanded most of this--was hard to turn and it actually split off. I had to reglue it all together. Then I free hand sanded it in some areas. I know its not the best way, but I get carried away sometimes. I already know Im gonna love this.

I do some knife handles and such so I have a pretty good working knowledge of all the tools and techniques-- Im sure there is a LOT that I can learn from the masters here. Looking forward to it.

Welcome to the addiction. Good start there. Might I suggest you use some more common materials until you get things figured out, though?

I actually made my own jig for the lathe and sanded most of this--was hard to turn and it actually split off. I had to reglue it all together. Then I free hand sanded it in some areas. I know its not the best way, but I get carried away sometimes. I already know Im gonna love this.

I do some knife handles and such so I have a pretty good working knowledge of all the tools and techniques-- Im sure there is a LOT that I can learn from the masters here. Looking forward to it.

You poor soul. It's clear to see that you're already too far down the rabbit hole for rescue.:confused: I gotta felling you'll have fun down here with the rest of us addicts. :smile-big:

If you're doing a lot of sanding, try wet sanding. It will reduce the heat and might minimize the splitting. Got a pic of your jig?

firewhatfire

Heck if you are sstarting with Wolly Mammoth, what are you planning to working up to(I can't wait to see)? Welcome to the madness and look forward to seeing what else you create.

Phil

Eaglewood

You poor soul. It's clear to see that you're already too far down the rabbit hole for rescue.:confused: I gotta felling you'll have fun down here with the rest of us addicts. :smile-big:

If you're doing a lot of sanding, try wet sanding. It will reduce the heat and might minimize the splitting. Got a pic of your jig?

LOL--my "jig" was simply a bolt with some washers for spacers and a nut on the other end. One end was clamped into the drill chuck attachment on the lathe and the other was on the live center-- there ya go!!!

Yep-- Im a lost cause and the rabbit hole is wayyy to deep now. Shoulda took the blue pill!

Eaglewood

Heck if you are sstarting with Wolly Mammoth, what are you planning to working up to(I can't wait to see)? Welcome to the madness and look forward to seeing what else you create.

Phil

Love your signature!!!

I am thinking some Meteorite Damascus possibly-- Heck, maybe some walrus ivory or the Mastadon tooth-- I think that is next. I may actually try some cocobolo or bubinga first though.

hilltopper46

This is not intended to be argumentative, but I have tried to wet sand mammoth ivory, and did not have a good outcome. Dry sanding worked better, both for the sanding and for the final outcome, with less cracking.

YMMV

Dale Allen

Do I remember reading a news story about a museum in Michigan getting broken into....or maybe not...hehe, just jokin Clay.
Welcome from another newcomer!

Eaglewood

This is not intended to be argumentative, but I have tried to wet sand mammoth ivory, and did not have a good outcome. Dry sanding worked better, both for the sanding and for the final outcome, with less cracking.

YMMV
Unless the ivory is pretty solid--you probably dont want to wet sand it.The moisture wicks down into the cracks and fissures and weakens it more. If you seal it pretty good with CA then it seems to work fine dry.

Eaglewood

Still not the best pics but here ya go

Attachments

• DSC08214.jpg
    DSC08214.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC08215.jpg
    DSC08215.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC08217.jpg
    DSC08217.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 85