My very first day to turn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cowchaser

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowchaser

Here are 3 pens that were turned today at Oklahomans house. He offered for me to come to his house and show me how to turn. I will let you in on a secret. He is one of the nicest men you will ever meet. He is also a great teacher. He took his time with me and was very patient in teaching.

2007918222031_dustin.jpg

The top pen is Cocobolo, the second is Tulipwood with acrylic centerband and the bottom is Bolivian Rosewood, These are the first tinks I ever turned on a lathe and I'm offically a pen-o-holic.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnnycnc

Nice work,cowchaser.[:D]
The first pens feel great,don't they?
I wish I could have had such an experienced teacher
to help get me rolling when I started.
Welcome to the group,also.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
First pens are like a first love. Like most people, I still have mine too. ( pens [}:)]) Unfortunately, someone like Roy wasn't there to help me then. I have never had the pleasure of meeting Roy, but even just via this forum I agree he is one of the 'nice guys'.
(Not like that 4 'eded character)

Keep the pens, they will ALWAYS bring a smile to your face when you look at them.[:D]

great12b4ever

Nice job and kudos to Oklahomans for teaching you. My first was a Sierra out of Olivewood at the local Rocklers 1 hour class and it permanently stays with LOML.

Rob

Fred

You both get A++++ in my grade book. It is indeed a great think to have an excellent mentor to assist you in learning. My father helped me and I was very fortunate to have him for the 88 years of his life. [:D]

OKLAHOMAN

Just a note about how well Dustin (Cowchaser) did.
1-He had never picked up a turning tool before today.
2-He took to it like a duck to water.
3-Before the day was over he even used a skew
It was my pleasure to have him come down from Ponca-City 2 hrs away to learn how to make a pen, he came and thought he would watch me but I turned one blank and handed him my scraper and told him go for it. He even put the finish on (CA) so we all better watch out I think he's a natural. This is what I love about this forum, today I met and made another friend.

cowchaser

Oh Roy you are way to kind. I will tell you all one thing that I learned on my own with no help of Roy's at all except his chuckles here and there. Something about the chuck just didn't like me. It jumped out and bit me about 10 times until I finally got it in my head that "hey this is going to hurt" and repositioned my hand on that end. [:I]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom