My Very First Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Czarcastic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Czarcastic

Made from some more of the rosewood burl that I used to make the Lidded Box earlier last week.

Finished with 2 coats of Arm-R-Seal Semi-Gloss.

baron2.jpg

baron1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Deere41h

Steven.........That is a great looking Baron. The burl on the cap really stands out nicely. How long did it take to put on the Arm-R-Seal finish? Thanks for sharing it with us.

Czarcastic

Thanks for all the compliments! [:D]

This was my first try using Arm-R-Seal as a pen finish. I have been using it regularly on my larger bowl and box turnings, as well as my "flat" projects for a while, but I always wanted a pen finish that I could wipe on with the lathe running, and press the pen almost immediately. Needless to say, the Arm-R-Seal does not work that way.

After wet sanding to 600 and MM to 12000, I moved my blanks (along with some scrapwood "bushings") to a 1/4" threaded rod, and held them in place with a couple of washers and nuts. The threaded rod sits in my turntable that I made for finishing, and that frees up my mandrel and lathe for other projects.

I applied a coat of Seal-A-Cell. Let dry 8 hours, buffed with #0000 Steel wool and applied my first coat of Arm-R-Seal. Then repeat the next coat of Arm-R-Seal with 12 hour cure time in between. Don't steel wool buff the last 2 coats.
After the last coat has cured AT LEAST 12 hours, buff lightly with a flanel cloth.

I used Semi-Gloss Arm-R-Seal, because that's what I had for my other projects. But I think I'll get a pint of gloss next time. I really like the depth it gives the project and the finish is very, very durable.

It just takes more time to finish than I usually like for pens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom