My version of a Honeycomb

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PTownSubbie

PTownSubbie

Well, the pattern looked cool so I set out to make one....

This is what I came up with. A 360 degree Honeycomb blank. This one is Blue and Orange with White fill. I guess it appeals to some Bronco's fans?

I have some yellow curing in the pressure pot and will try this in more traditional colors tomorrow!

Comments welcome on colors or such!

CNChoneycomb-pen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PTownSubbie

NIce pen Fred what size cutter are you using?

1/16" endmill....

I am trying to cut these deep enough that you can take a 3/4" blank and put it on any pen from a 3/8" tube and up so I need depth. I could go smaller but the cutting depth is not there......

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Fred There are 1mm and .8mm extended cut end mills available. Also tapered pyramid cutters from 6 degree 10 degree and 15 degree. Each side is 1/2 that angle so your side walls would be 3,5, and 7.5 degrees respectfully. If you used one of those as your blank outside dimensions got smaller so would your pattern get thinner. They have them in different tip widths also.

PTownSubbie

Fred There are 1mm and .8mm extended cut end mills available. Also tapered pyramid cutters from 6 degree 10 degree and 15 degree. Each side is 1/2 that angle so your side walls would be 3,5, and 7.5 degrees respectfully. If you used one of those as your blank outside dimensions got smaller so would your pattern get thinner. They have them in different tip widths also.

Only problem with that is cutting speed and not breaking the bits....I need to gain patience. LOL!! I have used them quite often for certain projects.....

PTownSubbie

I tried this on the pen wizard once, it didn't turn out... Your's looks great!

Having used a pen wizard before, I can see how it couldn't be done very easily! There are multiple paths on this and nothing is a straight line which is normally needed with the wizard.

Thanks for the comments!

Joe S.

I tried this on the pen wizard once, it didn't turn out... Your's looks great!

Having used a pen wizard before, I can see how it couldn't be done very easily! There are multiple paths on this and nothing is a straight line which is normally needed with the wizard.

Thanks for the comments!

Key phrases in red. It involved a lot of freehand work and only part of it looked like hexagons. Maybe I'll try it again soon.

Top Bottom