My version of a Double Closed End

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from UKpenmaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

UKpenmaker

After seeing Jim's post i thought i would show my attempt at doing a double closed end Baron.

Amboyna with Gold Baron

200772875759_DCE3.jpg

I have been trying to do a project with Acrylic and metal in the same style, but have not been 100% successful yet[B)]. So i thought i would try one in wood.

Comments welcome

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Looks really good Andrew. Is that custom hardware or did you manage to hide the bits of the kit?

its_virgil

Very nice Andrew. I like it a lot. What a great piece of wood and an excellent finish.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by UKpenmaker
<br />After seeing Jim's post i thought i would show my attempt at doing a double closed end Baron.

Amboyna with Gold Baron

Comments welcome

UKpenmaker

As promised here is a simple expalnation of how i did the pen.

It is quite easy to do, everything was done on the lathe.

As normal drill your blank, but before you take it out you will need to do the following.

For the pen, you need to make a recess that the cap thread coupler ring?? will fit into. Then it can be turned using your closed end mandrel, i did not use any bushings for this just used my calipers, this one is 5/8ths in diameter.

200772975041_Tips1.jpg
<br />

For the cap
Again drill the hole, but now you will need to glue in the tube, don't take the blank off the lathe unless you can put it back on in exactly the same place[;)]. Once set glue whatever accent ring you want to use on the end, mine is brass. Use the tail stock to apply pressure for a snug fit. Then drill a hole smaller than the first and by using a small round metal file with the lathe running you can file down to the inner diameter of the tube, i then polished the end before i did the turning.

200772975139_Tips0.jpg
<br />

Assemble as normal for the pen, for the cap you just use the black threaded plastic piece which is glued into place, screw onto pen first and then slide into the cap for perfect alignment.

Now get going and lets see all them pens[:p][;)]

micah

Not real sure I understand how your doing the cap...Why exactly are you drilling with a smaller bit after you put in the tube? What are you drilling, the tube? Also, how are you using the same mandrel for the cap as you did the lower barrel since they are differant sizes?
Thanks!

UKpenmaker

Micah, what i did was after putting in the tube, i glued a piece of brass plate to the end of the cap blank, then by drilling a smaller hole and using a file, this will give you a neat edge where you cannot see the end of the brass tube, it needs to be the diameter of inside of the tube so that the threaded part can be inserted in the tube.
I have two different sized closed end mandrels, they are the ones that Fangar used to sell.
Hope this makes it a bit clearer for you.[:)]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Andrew,

The pen is very creative and, I think, NICE looking!!

Although I don't quite understand yet, I will attempt to make the pen in a couple weeks - THEN, I suspect it will all "fall in line".

Thanks for all the help!!!

Of course mine will be PLASTIC!!!!!

csb333

I don't think that you would call that an "attempt". I think that you pulled it off in an excellent fashion. That is one smart pen! I would be proud to carry that one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom