My Unraveled Jr Statesman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bitshird

bitshird

This blank was a gift from Keith Larrett, I've had it for close to two months but haven't done much turning lately, I finally got up enough courage to turn it, a black Ti Jr Statesman and the blank is done with Curly Koa, done with Keith's awesome segmenting, all I did was turn it and finish it, the finish is BLO/CA about 6 coats
Jr-Statesman-unraveled.jpg

Unraveled-2.jpg

unraveled-3.jpg

Thank you Keith, this is now my most favorite pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

Awesome looking pen! Great blank. I wonder what one has to do to get Keith to send him a freebie? :confused: Just a quick question though, the rings that go on either end of the nib part, do you have the big one on the end and the little one on the nib? I have done that a time or 4 and it looked similar.

igran7

Oh Boy!!!!!!!!

That is something else. You both did a fine job, its now my favorite pen as well. How does one go about getting a gift like that from Keith? Keith are you listening, I'm open for suggestions.

PR_Princess

That is one awesome job Ken! That pen just drips with class!!! I love the koa.

BTW This is one of my favourite blanks that Keith makes, but I am with Joe...As I bought mine!

Last edited:

akbar24601

Beautiful pen Ken!!! As always, Keith has made a STUNNING blank! Kudos to you for mustering the courage to turn it! Great kit selection too.

bitshird

How I got the blank

Oh Boy!!!!!!!!

That is something else. You both did a fine job, its now my favorite pen as well. How does one go about getting a gift like that from Keith? Keith are you listening, I'm open for suggestions.

Joe How good are you at writing CNC code?

That is one awesome job Ken! That pen just drips with class!!! I love the koa.

BTW This is one of my favourite blanks that Keith makes, but I am with Joe...As I bought mine!
I cheated I just made a few tools for mine, So I guess I sort of paid for mine, just with smarts instead of dollars, I got smarts I don't got dollars, actually I should pay Keith for getting me to make the Woodchuck!! so far I've sold close to 150 of them.

Awesome looking pen! Great blank. I wonder what one has to do to get Keith to send him a freebie? :confused: Just a quick question though, the rings that go on either end of the nib part, do you have the big one on the end and the little one on the nib? I have done that a time or 4 and it looked similar.

Hans It looks like it in the picture, but i9t doesn't feel like it on the pen as far as getting a gift like this, just design a killer tool, you're on your way with your delrin bushings.

OK here is the story, Keith asked me to make the first tools that would come to be known as the Woodchuck II Guilliene, I wrote the CNC code for the tool, Keith sent me two long sticks of 1/2 in steel and a box of inserts with the Radius inserts. I wouldn't have done this tool since I was selling the model A ,if it hadn't been asked for by such a great guy and unbelievable turner.
I didn't charge him for doing them, because I realized how popular it would be, once I found a good source for the inserts, So Keith being the great guy he is made this blank for me for making him the two 18 inch long Woodchuck IIs which if you look in his blog there is a neat chapter on the tool and the handles he made for them,

I will say there is a definite pucker factor doing one of these blanks,

hewunch

Well personally, I think the folks at Dayacom switch them every now and then to mess with me. Because I know, I would never put them on wrong :rolleyes:

Very cool for both of you!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Let's see if I got this, Ken.

You haven't turned in a couple months.
So, you get the urge----so far, I'm with ya.

Survey the shop and pick
THE most CHALLENGING
piece you can find@!!!!@

You're a brave man!!!
(High failure rate, but BRAVE!!)

Nice job!!! Take a couple months off as a reward.?????

bitshird

Let's see if I got this, Ken.

You haven't turned in a couple months.
So, you get the urge----so far, I'm with ya.

Survey the shop and pick
THE most CHALLENGING
piece you can find@!!!!@

You're a brave man!!!
(High failure rate, but BRAVE!!)

Nice job!!! Take a couple months off as a reward.?????

Actually it turned pretty easy, I have turned some pens for the troops, and a few weeks ago some long clicks, but between being sick, and making woodchucks, I haven't had much time for enjoyment, I did use a fresh insert though, Keith forewarned me about trying to sand with the aluminum, so I just used my carbide roughing tool, Heh Heh Heh. besides it was stressing me out looking at it every day, Hans is right, the trim rings are swtiched, WHY do they come that way from CSUSA? I have to break it down and switch the stupid trim rings, Geez I feel dumb. Now I have to find an ink to go with the pen.

VisExp

Ken, sorry I didn't see this sooner. I've had a busy week at work and haven't been on the forum :beat-up:

What a nice suprise to log on and see you turned the blank. It looks awesome. I'm glad you didn't have any problems with the aluminum staining. Nice kit choice, it goes well with the Jr. Statesman.

Thanks again for the woodchucks, I use them all the time. Glad to hear sales are going well for you :)

Ligget

Now that is why I hang around this place, the inspiration I get from looking at your work and many others is priceless. Amazing pen Ken, that is gorgeous!!!!!

Top Bottom