My Universe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Wow! There must be something in the air. I worked a little pen up for a customer in Singapore that included a piece of the Gibeon meteorite.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thank you for looking, particularly those who add comments or suggestions.

Attachments

• _DSC0701.jpg
    _DSC0701.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 512
  • _DSC0700.jpg
    _DSC0700.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 526
  • _DSC0702.jpg
    _DSC0702.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 509
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Vic

Lou,
Is it just me or is the finish roughed up. Also looks like someone shot it with a BB gun several times?

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
The pen was extremely difficult to photograph due to the nature of the finish I used.

The basic design of the pen is a staggered series of five-pointed stars arranged around both the cap and the barrel. The stars are engraved deeply into the dark blue dyed maple wood. The location of one star has, in its place, a fragment of the world famous Gibeon Meteorite1. Each star has been hand painted with three separate sessions, using gray, silver and white acrylic paint. Each painting session is separated by adding a layer of clear lacquer to the pen. This method creates the depth and motion of the stars that is apparent as the barrel is rotated.

After the painting has thoroughly dried, I prepare a special lacquer which is combined with my own creation, raden-ite. The raden-ite enhanced lacquer is then applied over a period of up to one-week, with up to 10 layers of lacquer being applied. The raden-ite creates the luster, giving the barrel a stunning visual brilliance and shine, like billions and billions of background stars. Four layers of high-quality lacquer are then applied, encapsulating the raden-ite and assuring its luster for many generations.

Excerpt from the customer's email:

I am very pleased with the Bluesman and wish to congratulate you on your artistry and excellent workmanship.

jttheclockman

Lou, I am afraid we are going to have to take your word on this. It does not look anything like that in your photos. I can relate to pens being hard to capture on the computer. I am sure the amount of work that went into it will be appreciated by the owner. Thanks for showing.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh wowwwwwwwwwwww yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a smashing looking pen and the work behind it!!! Awesome!!!!

OKLAHOMAN

AS sung by Don Mclean:
Starry, starry night.
Paint your palette blue and grey,
Look out on a summer's day,
With eyes that know the darkness in my soul.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Lou, I have no doubt that the pen is everything you say it is. I am disappointed that the brilliance could not be captured in a photograph. The effect you describe sounds spectacular.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thank you for all of the comments. The picture really isn't good, but that's the photographer's problem. I still need to learn a lot about photography...and pen making, for that matter. :)

Top Bottom