My ugly Hickory Pen....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from micah

Status
Not open for further replies.

micah

Well, I was a little apprehensive about turning this thing. I was told how hard it was to turn and how it probably would not have a lot of appeal.
I would like to hear what your guys opinion of it is. I don't think that it turned out too bad, but I'm also the one that made it.
Be brutally honest!

dsc02425ml2.jpg

Thanks Gary Max!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GoodTurns

my wife is watching over my shoulder and said "ooh, that's pretty" when I opened the thread. I like the wood, good looking finish, I would probably prefer gold fittings because of the golds in the blank. Overall, nice pen.

Gary Max

Heck that was fast and you did good. What did you think of the smell when you opened the zip lock baggie????
I try and keep a couple Hickroy pens around---we have a couple request for them every year and I hate loseing a sale---LOL

jedgerton

Looks great to me. I like the shape, the wood and the finish. I turn all of my slimlines with this shape. To me, the straight slimlines look too much like the mass produced pens available at office supply stores.

John

Ligget

Looks fantastic, to be brutally honest the wood looks too proud of the centre band, other than that its great. Finish is beautiful too.[8D][:p]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by ligget
<br />Looks fantastic, to be brutally honest the wood looks too proud of the centre band, other than that its great. Finish is beautiful too.[8D][:p]

Unless the wood on a pen is obviously very 'proud' I rarely comment on the appearance. Many, properly turned, pens look 'proud' because of the metal glare in the photo. I have taken pictures of some of my pens that were not proud but looked so in the photos. So, for me, in "Show Off...", I give the benefit of the doubt.

toolcrazy

Very nice pen. I'd be very proud to carry that around with me. And the shape, I too, do all my slims that way, my wife thinks they are ugly that way and I should do them B2B. But I refuse.

BigRob777

Well, to be brutally honest with you, it's got pizzaz! Nice work. I've tried some of that curly hickory and it was tough to turn, but I was out of practice too.
Rob

micah

Thanks everyone!

Gary, the smell knocked me over when I opened it! I love the smell of hickory! I even called the wife over for her to have a whiff of it![;)]

As for it being a little proud. Yes, just a itsy bit. I think that the picture actually pronounces it more than it is though. I actually like to turn mine just a fraction proud to be on the safe side. That way I feel wood instead of metal, and after a time I'm sure that the wood will wear down to be more even with parts. I think that I read to do that, or saw it on a video when I first started turning. This one though is just enough to catch a finger nail if you scratch it, but you don't even notice it when holding.

As for turning this stuff. Yep, it was kind of a bugger! You definantly want to make sure you have sharp knives when you get down to finishing because it tended to "rip" the wood. The grain of wood also wanted to raise after you got through turning as well, but that was taken care of pretty easily with a little sandpaper and CA. [;)]

It was definantly worth the experience though! [8D]

Originally posted by micah
<br />As for it being a little proud. Yes, just a itsy bit. I think that the picture actually pronounces it more than it is though. I actually like to turn mine just a fraction proud to be on the safe side.

Knowing that information I would say that the pen came out great. [:)]

Micah,
Hickory is really hard... I've only turned a few pieces, but I like the looks of the wood... I think this would have looked better on a larger pen to show the wood better... this is a great pen though.. good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom