My two bash entries

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from southernclay

southernclay

Here are my two bash entries:

1. Beginner's contest: "worthless wood" on Liberty from lazerlinez.com

2. Russ Fairfield slimline Memorial: Burl with Spanish moss Brooks blank for centerband fatline.

Both CA finish. I'm looking for honest feedback, I'm very proud of them and thick skinned but looking to continue to improve so straightforward feedback is very welcome.

Thanks!

Attachments

• fat boy.jpg
    fat boy.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 232
  • fatso.jpg
    fatso.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 202
  • fatty.jpg
    fatty.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 178
  • beg.jpg
    beg.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 205
  • beg2.jpg
    beg2.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 195
  • dnu.jpg
    dnu.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 199
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

I'll speak to the Russ Fairfield pen. I suspect that your photos did not show your pen at it's best.

The color of your background wasn't optimal for your pen material. Additionally it looked like there may have been color balance issues with the photos. I think a darker backgound (dk grey or black) would have nicely contrasted with the pen and really brought out the colors of the material.

To me, your second photo (shot from the clip end with the pen laying on its side) made the clip end of the pen look over sized and unbalanced. It doesn't look that way in the other pictures to me. Perspective is important when staging photos. If you want to show a particular detail at one end of the pen, consider showing only that part of the pen.

All I've talked about is the photos, when it was a pen contest and not a photo contest. Unfortunately all anybody sees is the photos. While the photos aren't the focus of the competition, they have to show your pen at it's best. The photo has to catch the viewers eye to get them to put it on their short list where they then evaluate other details to make their choice.

Of course, all this is just my opinion. That doesn't make it so.

Ed

Last edited:

plano_harry

Ed gave you some good points on the photos which is a big factor since we can't see the pens in person. Both pens look very nice and would bring top dollar. The beginner contest had unusually strong competition. I especially like the fatline.

Harry

southernclay

Thanks fellas for the feedback. I agree 100% the photos are not what they should be. I was pretty pleased with the fit but the pics don't do them justice. My camera only goes to F4.9 which hurts. I haven't put much time into learning the photography aspect but working on that now. Digging into the library a bit and using the search function :) I'm hoping I can still use the same camera to turn out a better pic, I think I can just have to learn what it can do. It's a Fuji FinePix S6000fd, great zoom, wide angle features and has macro but I bought it to photograph outdoors scenes, houses etc several year ago. Never have put any thought to light tents, aperture etc until I got hooked on the pen crack!

I plan on bringing the pens to the upcoming Georgia meeting to get some feedback there as well. Y'all fly in and take a look, haha.

Thanks for the feedback!

BTW, Harry and Ed congrats on your contest placing entries!

plano_harry

Warren, that is a powerful camera! Don't you mean the minimum f-stop is 4.9? For pen pictures, you want to head to the high f-stops (f22) to get a greater depth of field (area that is in focus). Use a tripod for max sharpness and a light box to control reflection and soften your light. Here is a nice inexpensive portable unit that I use: http://www.rakuten.com/prod/loadstone-studio-table-top-photo-light-box-kit-30-light-box-2-x-table/242003867.html May have to adjust your camera white balance to the lights, but you should not have any problem with the Fuji. There is a ton of information in the photo forum and the IAP library specifically on pen photography.

Search on HDR or High Dynamic Range if you want to take it a step further.

Harry

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Shoot... I agree with Ed.

The pictures may possibly be better, but I have no substantial comments on the pens - They both look very nice! I suspect they are very impressive in person.

Photography... Ah yes, just what we wanted to learn when we picked up a gouge.

Be proud of the pens!

plano_harry

I am with you Mark. It took a lot to get my old Nikon D40 up to speed. I can almost turn a pen in the time it takes to make a good photo, but IAP lives in photos! Sort of like Einstein - A bad haircut can make anybody look stupid!

Harry

southernclay

Thanks Mark! And yes, photography isn't the skill set I expected to learn out of this hobby. But it is a nice skill to learn. I have actually taken a couple of photography courses in college but nothing like pens was studied, it was all manual, black and white, dark room developed photography which was great but that knowledge left me at some point.

Harry, one site I saw said F 2.8-F4.9 but I have just seen another that says
• F2.8-F11 (wide)
• F4.9-F11 (tele)

From what I've read I think that will be ok for now.

I've been reading the last two hours on general settings to get my mind wrapped around it all. Searching out the user manual next.

Thanks for the link on the tent too, I got a similar one off eBay or Amazon, I like the one you posted a bit better. You can see the wrinkles still in my pics, it was straight outta the box.

I'm gonna keep digging and take some shots. When I feel like I'm making some progress or hit a dead end I'll post an update.

tgsean

I agree we all need to really learn to photograph a lot better. I am slowly learning. The pens look great though

plano_harry

Harry, one site I saw said F 2.8-F4.9 but I have just seen another that says
• F2.8-F11 (wide)
• F4.9-F11 (tele)

Perhaps it only goes to f11 (sounds like Spinal Tap :biggrin:). Another way to increase apparent depth of field is to move back some. You have lots of resolution, so you can crop your image and still have to reduce it to get to 800x600 for IAP. Once you get your lightbox and iron the wrinkles out of your background, you should be good to go. Another tip, make yourself a black curtain with a slit in the center to block unwanted reflections from the camera and what is behind it. You don't want your red shirt reflecting off the chrome hardware DAMHIKT :rolleyes:

Have fun with your two new hobbies!

Harry

OZturner

Two Excellent Pens, Warren.
I won't talk about photography, just the Pens. As photography has been covered by more experienced than me.
Beautiful Blanks, excellent Kit Choices.
Photo #3 If you look at the Centre band, you can see what appears to be marks on the Black Surface, and a little "daggey" thing on the edge of the cap. (Could be a glob of glue or polish)
I don't know if the marks are scratch type of just finger/handling marks.
For a competition of highly polished items, I suggest that to use white cotton gloves would be worthwhile.
If you don't wear gloves, regardless of how careful you are you will leave marks on the surface.
In photo #4 in the reflection zone of the Finial you can see either finger marks or reflection of the photographer, or the room. This also distracts from the visual image you are presenting.
Try to position the tent, so that no image can be reflected on the object.
Your Fit and Finish is Excellent, and both pens are Worthy Entrants to the Competition.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Quality Pen

they are nice looking pens!

I think the easiest/best thing you can do to make your pens look a bit better is to get a better color balance (maybe a simple grey card would sufiice) and capture a sharper image -- no lathe or CA required :D

Top Bottom