My Turn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

Well after seeing everyone else posting some awesome pens I got shop envy and took matters in my own hands. Drilled and reverse painted last night, glued this morning, & turned this afternoon. The finish on both is MM to 12000 and polished with PlastX.

First we have an Art Deco BP with one of my home cast blanks. Reverse painted black for some depth. On a sidenote the refill does retract all the way, I wasn't paying attention as I was taking the photos:redface:

100_3336633x700.jpg
100_3341637x700.jpg
100_3344654x700.jpg

Last is a Chrome Zen with a Vintage Blue blank. Reverse painted navy blue.

100_3353583x700.jpg
100_3359631x700.jpg
100_3365640x700.jpg

Your Closeup:

100_3366684x700.jpg

Thanks for looking! Stay tuned though...I have a few more blanks prepped and hopefully ready to turn tomorrow:biggrin: However, if one in particular ends up exactly how I want I won't be able to show it in public :wink:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
There could be NO refill and they still would be beautiful. I really like ALL your blanks but if it's blue... I am there. Another gorgeous batch Jonathan.

D.Oliver

Those look awesome. I never get tired of seeing that Vintage Blue.

However, if one in particular ends up exactly how I want I won't be able to show it in public :wink:

Oh it will be showed in public...A magazine is just as easy to read as a webpage. Good Luck.

BKelley

Jonathan,
One of the finest looking blanks I've seen What do you call the blank? Do you have any like it for sale? If so, pm me with details. Thanks.

Ben

Crickett

You're worried about the refill on the Art Deco but what about the refill on the Zen?? :confused::wink:

Beautiful blanks, Jonathan! The Art Deco blank is a perfect match with with the stone in the clip.

elody21

these are really beautiful!
I have been away for a while and while I can guess what reverse painting is, would someone explain?
I usually use either wood or leather dye, even acrylic dye, dipped in a q-tip and running it on the inside of the tube. The rough surface of the drilling holds the dye very well and does not rub off when inserting the tube
Leather dye comes in many colors.
Alice

wiset1

I have been away for a while and while I can guess what reverse painting is, would someone explain?
I usually use either wood or leather dye, even acrylic dye, dipped in a q-tip and running it on the inside of the tube. The rough surface of the drilling holds the dye very well and does not rub off when inserting the tube
Alice

You pretty much nailed it. Due to the transparent nature of some of the blanks being crafted today painting the inside of the blank prior to securing the tube is a must. This can truly change the dynamic of the finished pen when contrasting colors are used while hiding the brass tube. Pretty much the same as the dye you use.

omb76

Great job Jonathon! Your match up on the Art Deco was spot on...no replacement crystal though? :biggrin:

Now I have shop envy... back to work!

marksman

Wow!!! Really nice. You work for a day and come up with this, Constant and I have been working for months to show off our work :confused: Great job!

t001xa22

I never get tired of seeing your work, Jonathan. Even though each piece is unique, they all share one characteristic: they are beautiful.

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
These look great! If you keep adding pens like these, I wont be able to decide which are my favorites :rolleyes:.... ALL OF THEM:bulgy-eyes:

RichB

Great work and Photo's. I like the blank with the gold on the Art Deco. I haven't made any of the Art Deco, and I haven't seen any of them lately. I sure due like them. Thanks for showing. RichB

Brooks803

Thanks everyone for the feedback and kind words!

Those look awesome. I never get tired of seeing that Vintage Blue.

However, if one in particular ends up exactly how I want I won't be able to show it in public :wink:

Oh it will be showed in public...A magazine is just as easy to read as a webpage. Good Luck.

Lol...thats the idea Derek! Keep your fingers crossed that the blank survives! It wasn't quite ready this morning....maybe this afternoon I'll be able to glue in the tube.

Jonathan,
One of the finest looking blanks I've seen What do you call the blank? Do you have any like it for sale? If so, pm me with details. Thanks.

Ben

Thanks Ben! It's one of my suspended animation blanks. Thats just the name for the type of blank...I don't exactly have a name for the color. I'll bring it to the meeting on the 17th if you're able to make it. Btw...check your PM box :wink:

Alice

You pretty much nailed it. Due to the transparent nature of some of the blanks being crafted today painting the inside of the blank prior to securing the tube is a must. This can truly change the dynamic of the finished pen when contrasting colors are used while hiding the brass tube. Pretty much the same as the dye you use.

Thanks Tim...You explained that better than I could have.

Great job Jonathon! Your match up on the Art Deco was spot on...no replacement crystal though? :biggrin:

Now I have shop envy... back to work!

Thanks David, yeah I left the crystal alone in this one. I felt it actually complimented the blank, rare, but it happens:rolleyes: I'm saving all the replacement work for the demo in a couple weeks!

Wow!!! Really nice. You work for a day and come up with this, Constant and I have been working for months to show off our work :confused: Great job!

Lol...thanks Mark but I didn't exactly design and create the kit it went on! I personally can't wait to see yours in the flesh.

Top Bottom