My third pen - fatline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vferdman

vferdman

Well, after making my first two slimline kits I got fairly tired of the standard slimline form and especially the center ring, which in my kits is just not that great. So I looked around here and elsewhere online and found an idea for a "Fatline", which is a fatter form using a slimline kit. I tried it yesterday and came out with this:

6nAVITe.jpg

9i7SRCe.jpg

6YHNoQy.jpg

XzjerIt.jpg

The CA finish on this one is my best yet. I have watched some Russ Fairfield videos and it raised my CA finish to a new level. I did not do the CA/BLO (don't have any BLO on hand), but will try it later. This one is just glassy shine. The pictures don't capture it all the way, but this thing is GLOSSY! The shape got away from me a bit, I wanted the top part to be a bit fatter also, but this pen is also the first one I made with a skew instead of the spindle gouge. I only used a roughing gouge to round the blank, the rest of the work was done with a skew. So the top part got away from me a bit practicing my skew skill. Still, a very handsome pen and I am glad I can make something other than a standard slimline form.

Really learned a lot making this one. Thanks, all for encouragement and suggestions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

Slimline pens are so versatile. You did a great job with your modifications. The more you try the better and more creative your slimlines become. Not to mention, more fun to make.

OZturner

An Excellent Pen, Vladimir.
Congratulations on Wrestling with the Skew.
Once you overcome the anxiety of the Skew, and with practice start to get some muscle memory, that will guide your hand without you having to think.
You will then appreciate the Beauty of the Skew.
Love the shape of your new pen,
Congratulations on the Centre Band, OK it did get away a bit but a Great Effort, you will nail it next time.
Your Finish looks Superb, and obviously you are delighted.
On the Photograph, it looks like you could have tapered a bit more to the Nib.
Do you use Calipers, or do you turn to the bushes?
Fantastic Progress,
Brian.

vferdman

The center band is made out of maple wood I had left over from my pen #2. I also used a wire to burn a line on either side of the maple.

I turn to the bushings without calipers and yes, I could have tapered a bit more at the nib. Still, the pen is pretty nice (the finish goes a long way to enhance the overall look and feel) and has served as an amazing learning experience. It also did not take me nearly as long as the first one :) I meant to have a fairly fat barrel, but all the way up to the top. As I said, the top got away from me using the skew and I had to correct some things by taking more material than I intended. I am okay with that. Failure is part of learning and if there is no failure, there is no learning. I am still pretty happy with the result. Some lucky family member will be pleasantly surprised this fall with a new pen...

flyitfast

Very nice pen, Vladimir. Modifying slimline pens has so many possibilities and you are doing well.
Actually, I like the shape. The line flows smoothly from finial to nib and the added center band goes well.
Have you looked at Don Ward's book on modified slim lines? Russ Fairfield's ideas are really great and Don adds some additional ideas for the versatile slimline.
Exotic Blanks :: Books, Magazines & DVDs :: Turning Modified Slimline Pens Signed by Don Ward
Also, check out his website Wooden Pens: Buy Handmade unique custom rattlesnake wood pens gifts fountain pen exotic wood from Red River Pens He has many articles on pen modifications and pen turning.
Keep up the good work.
gordon

vferdman

I love it! I need to go back and do something similar. I understand about how to do the center band, but I always get stuck on the top and clip size

You can always put the band on the bottom. I think next time I will also turn the top a bit larger than the bushing on the bottom so it looks like a posted cap and also hide the seam more. On this pen I just put a burn ring on the seam, but it's not enough, IMO. An overhanging "cap" would be better. I think I've seen it done before...

vferdman

Very nice pen, Vladimir. Modifying slimline pens has so many possibilities and you are doing well.
Actually, I like the shape. The line flows smoothly from finial to nib and the added center band goes well.
Have you looked at Don Ward's book on modified slim lines? Russ Fairfield's ideas are really great and Don adds some additional ideas for the versatile slimline.
Exotic Blanks :: Books, Magazines & DVDs :: Turning Modified Slimline Pens Signed by Don Ward
Also, check out his website Wooden Pens: Buy Handmade unique custom rattlesnake wood pens gifts fountain pen exotic wood from Red River Pens He has many articles on pen modifications and pen turning.
Keep up the good work.
gordon

Thanks for the links. I tried finding Russ Fairfield's stuff on YouTube, but only found CA finish videos, which are very good and already helped me. However, as was mentioned before Russ is the Slimline alternate shape king and I could not find any of that, so thanks again.

Top Bottom