My Take on Ancient Mars

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wdcav1952

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I almost didn't show this pen after seeing Kasper's awesome work, but as much as I love this blank I have to post my result.

http://exoticblanks.com/ Ancient Mars blank with Black Ti Jr Statesman RB

This is one of the most "turner friendly" resins I have ever turned. With all the streamers flying around, I thought I was at a ticker tape parade!

Attachments

• closed_591x600.jpg
    closed_591x600.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 507
  • open_800x560.jpg
    open_800x560.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 298
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

izaks

The pen is Beautiful - excellent work and good looking blank. Seeing your pen I'm now happy I ordered this blank.
I have very little experience with acrylic but have tried couple blanks from ExoticBlanks and they are fun to turn.

wdcav1952

Pen looks superb Cav! Sure it wasn't an Irish ticker tape parade?

Nah, the shavings weren't green!! :)

Thanks all for the kind words. I wish there was a way to capture the depths of this blank. It reminds me of the movies where you see the swirling depths of a crystal ball before it clears to show you what lies in store for you.

PR_Princess

It reminds me of the movies where you see the swirling depths of a crystal ball before it clears to show you what lies in store for you.

"Who wants to see the Future, who ever does? A man can face the Past, but to think - the pillars crumbled, you say? And the sea empty, and the canals dry, and the maidens dead, and the flowers withered?" The Martian was silent, but then he looked ahead. "But there they are. I see them. Isn't that enough for me? They wait for me now, no matter what you say."[FONT=sans-serif, Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular]
[/FONT]...Ray Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles

PR_Princess

Beautiful William!! Thank you for posting, you did a great job on the pen and really made the blank shine. :)

BTW I'm glad to see your avatar back. I like it! I don't think that it's annoying at all! :rolleyes::biggrin:

BruceA

Blank Identification - I think it's "Burnt Copper"

Cav,
I'm going to stick my neck out here and ask for confirmation on the blank. I am 100% sure that it's not Ancient Mars. I will place a big-time bet that it is "Burnt Copper" -

I turned "Burnt Copper" this last weekend, and it did "turn like butter" - light orange ribbons just flying off, as I tested it on a Sierra tube. And I remember thinking, "Man, this blank is fun to turn!"

Note that Ancient Mars has blue in it.

I also tried the "Golden Dawn Polyresin" - very similar copper pigment, with black as a second color. BUT, it was extremely dusty to turn, and didn't cut nearly as well as the "Burnt Copper".

For those looking for a PR version of Amboyna Burl, you've got to try the Burnt Copper blank - at 12" viewing, it's a dead ringer!!

Dawn's got 18 back in stock today.

Respectfully Submitted-
Bruce in TN.

wdcav1952

Bruce,

A swing and a miss! :wink:

It is indeed an Ancient Mars blank, albeit one with slightly less blue than others. There is some blue on the side of the pen not shown.

Dawn and I discussed this one. She was a touch disappointed in the lack of blue; I was not! I found this one to be a great Ancient Mars blank.

BruceA

Cav,
OK. I swung for the fence and fanned air!

I'm interested in hearing from Dawn "PR Princess" about the differences in the Ancient Mars and Burnt Copper blanks. I'm wondering if the only difference is the addition of the blue in Ancient Mars? The Burnt Copper looks exactly like Ancient Mars, without the blue. And, it turned just like you described.

This series, with the copper pigment, makes a fantastic pen. The tone is rich and deep, and has an irridescence. I used a black-painted brass tube, and painted the inside of the blank black. Looks like you may have done the same. The sample on the exoticblanks.com website looks lighter, but that may be the photo...or the fact there is NO tube? Maybe a black tube deepens the copper tones.

Thanks!
Bruce in TN.

Last edited:

Kaspar

I chose closed-end pens for my first two Ancient Mars blanks because I didn't want to give up even an inch of Dawn's excellent blanks, but there is nothing wrong with that pen. Looks great in a good kit. Excellent work.

Did you use nickel tubes?

wdcav1952

Bruce, thanks for having a sense of humor.

Oddly enough, I took a risk and left the copper tube unpainted to see how it would work out. I can't see the tube anywhere as the color in the blank is so saturated. I do think a nickel tube would be an interesting option, though.

Again thanks all for the kind words.

Top Bottom