My take on the 360 herringbone - 4 sided

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dexter0606

dexter0606

Finally got some "me" time in the shop and decided to tackle the 360 degree herringbone pattern the way I envisioned it. When I first looked at it I thought that it was a 4 sided pattern and that's the way I approached it.
Attached are pic's of my first attempt. I only did half of the pen (didn't want to waste my time on a whole pen if this didn't work).
I used Padauk, Swiss Pear and Brazillian Rosewood. There are well over 200 pieces in the cap, a little tedious to glue up.
I dressed it up in a Titanium Gold Churchill kit.
Thanks
Jeff

Attachments

• Pen 168 - 1.jpg
    Pen 168 - 1.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 331
  • Pen 168 - 2.jpg
    Pen 168 - 2.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 211
  • Pen 168 - 3.jpg
    Pen 168 - 3.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 468
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chief Hill

200 pieces!! just for the top? Very nice. But I don't have the patients To try yet.

dexter0606

Yeh, I cut the pieces about .090" thick and it took some time to get the first row right. After that it wasn't too bad, just time consuming.

Jeff

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Jeff, that looks great. I like the fact that it isn't the same as the rest with 6 columns, this pen has 8 columns. Outstanding job!!!

dexter0606

Sorry Tim
That ain't it. It's a Herrringbone but I don't think it's the same as the Faber herringbone people were trying to achieve.
This one has 4 sides (which I think is the same as the Faber) as compared to the 3 in the tutorial.

Jeff

glycerine

Sorry Tim
That ain't it. It's a Herrringbone but I don't think it's the same as the Faber herringbone people were trying to achieve.
This one has 4 sides (which I think is the same as the Faber) as compared to the 3 in the tutorial.

Jeff

But I believe the concept is still the same, just the inside angle would need to be modified. This tutorial should still be able to get him started.

dexter0606

Glycerine
I don't think the original tutorial is a lot of help in this instance. May be able to start some ground work from it but this is a different animal. This'll get the creative juices in everybody flowing again.

Jeff

Top Bottom