My son's second pen ever.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DigBaddy72

DigBaddy72

My son, Ben, is 11 years old. This past Sunday he asked to go to my woodshop with me to watch me turn some pens. As I got my first one of the day done, he had a look on his face that I could tell meant he wanted to try, so when I asked him, he immediately went to the wood pile and picked out a blank and turned a pen. I don't have a photo of that one and he sold it the next day to a teacher at school for $20! Last night he wanted to turn another pen, this time he wanted to try a "wand" pen. So he picked out some purpleheart, and a chrome slimline hardware kit and went to town. I helped a little with the finishing and pressing the kit together. Other than that this is all him. I also introduced him to a skew and parting tool, which he promptly put to work on this pen! I think he is hooked!

Attachments

• BenPen2.JPG
    BenPen2.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 284
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Skew???? Parting Tool????
The two most challenging tools, without a doubt!!

Please pass on my admiration for his fearlessness!!!! :)

Very nice. He has a good eye for sizes and keeping things looking right together. Check out the article on making a slimline and not using the center band and let him give that a try I bet he would make something really cool!

DigBaddy72

My son says thanks everyone. He is really excited to get into this more and more. No turning for him this weekend though. He's had a busy weekend with bowling league, a band concert (he plays alto sax), and some friends came over. But dad got some shop time! :)

stonepecker

That young man has talent.....Tell him to keep it up and pat him on the back from all of us here at IAP. The sooner he is a member the better for all of us.

You are doing a great job also DigBaddy

Top Bottom