My son's pen!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Wheaties

Wheaties

Finally done! Had our first child on September 29, as some of you have already seen. Micah James, and he was a big boy coming in (out really :biggrin:) at 10.0lbs. And as promised, his pen!

It's a Chilean Lapis Tru-Stone from R&B Crafts on a Rhodium/22kt Gold Statesman. It was my first Tru-Stone and Statesman. It was a little work keeping the Tru-Stone cool.

The box is Walnut and Maple. It's my first box and I may have been a little bit in over my head and rushed a couple things so it's not the best box you'll ever see, but all-in-all, I think it came out pretty good. A BIG thanks to Ken at Kallenshaan Woods for the engraving! That's the best part of the box!

I've put a TON of time into this project would love to know what you think, good or bad!

Attachments

• _MG_1781-01.jpg
    _MG_1781-01.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 284
  • _MG_1788-01.jpg
    _MG_1788-01.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 188
  • _MG_1792-01.jpg
    _MG_1792-01.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 261
  • _MG_1794-01.jpg
    _MG_1794-01.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 242
  • _MG_1795-01.jpg
    _MG_1795-01.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 190
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

It think it looks great - a pen worthy of a fancy display, and a display worthy of an elegant pen.

So, how old does Micah James have to be before he is allowed to touch it?

-Barry

Wanna adopt me? :rolleyes:

Beautiful pen and the box is a wonderful touch! You know you can't get mad at him if his first drawing is at age 2 using that pen... and it's on the walls!!:eek:

2 words:

Magic Eraser

My kids wouldn't be able to sit anymore if Magic Eraser wasn't around.

Wheaties

It think it looks great - a pen worthy of a fancy display, and a display worthy of an elegant pen.

So, how old does Micah James have to be before he is allowed to touch it?

-Barry

LOL, that's a great question. But I suppose it will happen somewhere around that age where he knows he shouldn't, but does anyway.

EDIT: Yep, I think Greg nailed it....

bitshird

Zach, I think the box and the pen are first rate, did you try turning the tru stone with your woodchuck? I've had good results even on the dark blue Lapis and even on the old stuff that wasn't formulated for turning. Didn't have a chance to get hot.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
What a wonderful gift for your son! The pen and box both look great!

You know those larger diameter pens are great for little hands . . . :biggrin:

Wheaties

Zach, I think the box and the pen are first rate, did you try turning the tru stone with your woodchuck? I've had good results even on the dark blue Lapis and even on the old stuff that wasn't formulated for turning. Didn't have a chance to get hot.

Yep, sorry Ken, I forgot to mention that. The woodchuck worked great! Defiantly helped with the heat! I was overly worried about the heat though, and as it was my first Tru-Stone, I probably didn't need to stop and cool the blank as much as I did. But your tool was first rate, as always!

mtgrizzly52

You need to be very proud of yourself Zach. You hit a home run with that pen and display case. The love of your son is very obvious.

Nice job!

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

Ligget

That is an outstanding tribute/gift to your son, he will love it when he`s older and will treasure it for many years, and it shows that you put a ton of work into box too!

As you know my Dad recently died and I have things from his house, his ring etc, but I have nothing he made (apart from me of course), something handmade by my Dad would mean more to me than anything else whether valuable or not.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
You did a fantastic job on that pen. Looks 1st rate in every way. The case is perfect for it.

artme

Fabulous pen and case!! :star::star::star::star::handshake:

Your son is a lucky boy.

In our house - 4 boys and one girl - we were given a fountain pen on entry to high school. Was almost a ceremony and we looked forward to the event with great anticipation.

VisExp

Congratulations on the baby boy! The pen set looks great. I like the thought behind it and it will be great when your son is old enough to understand the time and effort you put into making something to celebrate his birth.

Top Bottom