My son's first pen...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

I was ready to take a break from making pens and IAP for a while. My son who is 22 and will be starting medical school asked me to let him make a pen.
He had seen me make them but to now had not shown much interest in pen making. It surprised me but I availed myself of the opportunity to spend some time with him. He made a pen from one of Curtis's Mescalbean blanks and a Black Titanium Navigator. He picked the blank and the kit and did all of it himself. I was floored when he finished. The few things that he did allow me to help with was the first coat of CA and he applied the other 5 coats. I helped talk him through the assembly and I took the pictures. He did all of the rest himself. The look on his face when he finished was priceless. It really helped me want to start up again and I have this feeling that he knew it would. Doc.:)

Attachments

• Mescalbean on Black Titanium Navigator_2.jpg
    Mescalbean on Black Titanium Navigator_2.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 340
  • Mescalbean on Black Titanium Navigator_1.jpg
    Mescalbean on Black Titanium Navigator_1.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 197
  • Mescalbean on Black Titanium Navigator.jpg
    Mescalbean on Black Titanium Navigator.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 229
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

WOW! I wish my first pen, or even my most recent pen looked anywhere that good.
By the way, Dad, the photos were not all that slouchy either. FAther & son, something to be proud of. Congratulations.
Charles

IPD_Mrs

Fantastic pen. If he is as adept in medical school as he is in picking up pen turning there are going to be plenty of very lucky patients in this world!

Toni

Doc your son did an incredible job!! Kudos to you for your teaching skills!! Glad you decided to hang around you would be sorely missed

PTownSubbie

Great bonding experience! My 20 yr old son put his first tool to wood last week. He showed interested so I jumped on it....

The pen looks great! Keep him going!!

wizard

Thank you for all the encouragement that all of you gave my son, David. He saw all the feedback and was truly excited..Now, he has got his best friend into pen turning..I have this feeling that I'm going to lose my lathe...and shop....:eek: if I don't start up myself again. Doc

shawnmhill

That's awesome Doc! Maybe one day I can do the same with my daughter? She always says "Daddy, you making another pen for me"? She's 3! Hope all is well.

PR_Princess

Isn't it amazing how children (even the grown ones) know exactly what to do to make things good again? Toni is right Doc! You would be very sorely missed indeed! We all owe David our thanks! :)

As for David's pen.....

His FIRST pen.....

1.gif

Padre

"Like father, like son;
in more ways than one!"
LOL

He did a great job. I wish him well in medical school.

Top Bottom