My son's first attempt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dave_M

Dave_M

A Perfect Fit in Ti gold with a Smokey Taupe blank from ExoticBlanks.com. My 14 year old son helped me with this one. He did the drilling & most of the turning until we got down to sizing the blank to the bushings and cutting the tenon. The pic doesn't show the true quality of the blank. The blank has a lot of depth and subtle color variation that make it a real eye popper in bright sun light.

Also my first attempt with a blank from exoticblanks.com Wow these really finish up beautifully. These are the best polyresin blanks I have ever turned. I noticed with these blanks... very sharp tools are a must. Light cuts and go slow. Once it was turned down to size, we wet sanded it lightly with 1200 grit sand paper then buffed it with the white diamond and it was done.

1_IMG_2497.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mark

That's awesome. My son wants to help, but I'm just not sure about him + power tools... lol. Someday I guess. Congrats on the quality time with your son... It means a lot..

Dave_M

Thank you for the comments. My son Jonathan is really proud of the pen and even more so after reading your comments. He took it to school yesterday and his shop teacher is very impressed so he's feeling pretty good about himself these days.

Overall he did really well with everything. It's not the first time he's hung out with me in the garage so he's familiar with the tools and basic shop safety. The table saw was a bit intimidating but he handled it with a great deal of caution, just as it should be. Starting out rounding the blank on the lathe was also a little intimidating for him, but he quickly got used to the chips flying everywhere. You know how them chips can fly when you round off those first corners. Overall he did very good his first time with his hands on the tools.

Top Bottom