My Son's Fathers Day gift

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sbwertz

sbwertz

I'm leaving next week to go to CT to visit my son and his family. My son is a Geneticist, and this infill looks kind of like a DNA string, so I'm taking it to him as a Father's Day gift. It is mulberry with turquoise infill on a Ti/gold Ti/black Le Roi.

He has two sons, 7 and 10. My son has just been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. It has been a blow. He is our only son, and lives so far away.... He is only 46. The prognosis is guarded. He is responding well to treatment, but there is no cure. Chances are good that he will end up in a wheelchair in the not so distant future.

He is the director of the E-Coli Research Stock Center at Yale. As he says, he can still raise his boys and do his job from a wheelchair if necessary.

sonjohn.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

renowb

That's beautiful Sharon! I'm sure he will love it. The best to you and your son.

boxerman

Very nice pen. My first wife had M.S. and the doctor told her she would be in wheelchair within a year of being diagnosed and she walk for many years after she found out she had it. You got to have a good attitude about it and don't let it get you down. And a good friend of mine has it and he was diagnosed with it about five yrs ago and he is still walking. Your son should go Minneapolis,Mn to M.S. clinic there and see Dr. Sharpio is one of top M.S. doctors in the world. There might not be a cure for it but there are plenty of good drugs for it.

sbwertz

Very nice pen. My first wife had M.S. and the doctor told her she would be in wheelchair within a year of being diagnosed and she walk for many years after she found out she had it. You got to have a good attitude about it and don't let it get you down. And a good friend of mine has it and he was diagnosed with it about five yrs ago and he is still walking. Your son should go Minneapolis,Mn to M.S. clinic there and see Dr. Sharpio is one of top M.S. doctors in the world. There might not be a cure for it but there are plenty of good drugs for it.

Thank you for this information. I will pass it along to my son.

el_d

Very Nice Sharon, Great to hear your son sounds like a fighter, You are'nt beat till you give up...... My Cousin Has MS and shes still just as LOUD as ever......:biggrin::tongue:

Woodlvr

I am sorry to hear about your son Sharon. My wife had her first run in with MS when she was 43, she went blind in one eye but they could not fully diagnose MS then. Her sight returned in just under a year then when she was 47 she started having some some weird symptoms so we went to the doc and found out it had returned. After diagnosis I had to start giving her weekly shots,which helped cool down her symptoms. In the Salt Lake City, Utah area the MS society has seminars every few months and by attending and talking to the nurses, caretakers , and the doctors we also found out about other things that might help her. Technically she is in remission but she has cognitive issues from time to time and her legs give her problems but I believe by the advice of others and taking more vitamins, and an improved diet we are doing as well as can be expected. If he knows that he has a great support system it will help him be able to stay positive and we are told that our attitudes can go along way in helping us to stay healthy and feel better. If I can be of any help with anything please feel free to pm me anytime. I absolutely hate to give my LOML her weekly shot, It does not hurt her but it hurts me because I am afraid everytime of hurting her. I will try to follow your posts and see how your son is doing. The MS society has an awesome support system wherever you are-(I am told) as long as he and his wife register you will be surprised at the programs and support that others will supply you with. I am sorry that I am long winded but as I have been taking care of Connie for almost 12 years and since she is my soul mate I have to take the best care of her that is possible. Please convey our good luck wishes and let him know that we will help support him in any way possible. My wife has to work 7 more years before she can retire, and I am already classified as handicapped and do not have a regular job just my Handyman business so I can really watch over her more carefully. Your son is young enough that he may live to see a cure. there are so many blind studies going on that we never know what will happen. I just continue to pray that we can live as normal a life as possible and by staying positive I believe that it has done us a world of good. Sorry again that this is so long as I tend to go overboard when it comes to helping others with the dreadful MS disease. Take care. Your son is in our prayers for as full of a recovery that is possible. Keep us informed if we can help in any way.

sbwertz

Thank you all for your support. I am going to move this thread to casual conversation. I am so interested it what you all have to tell me, and I guess 'show off your pens' is not the best place for this thread. I'll start a new thread in CC.

Thank you for the comments on the pen. It is the first Le Roi I have done with the mulberry/turquoise. It was a very fragile blank with lots of cracks and kind of punky, and BARELY big enough to turn completely round before I hit the bushings. I had to stabilize it with thin CA while turning. I filled the cracks with black embossing powder and thin CA prior to turning, then routed them back out with a dental bit to put in the infill.

Woodlvr

I really like the pen and the DNA trail-looks great. Sorry for the long post forgot I was in the SOYP forum.

Carl Fisher

Beautiful pen.

As for MS, I work with 2 people and also have a family member and friend that are all fighting MS every day to various degrees.

I fund raise and ride the MS150 (150 mile bicycle ride from Charlotte to Myrtle Beach) every year to help fight and search for a cure. My warmest wishes go out to your son and his family.

Top Bottom