My Sons 4th pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mredburn

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Now Before you get all teary eyed, or a warm fuzzy feeling that isnt alcohol induced, My son is 34, every once in a while he likes to make a pen. Its not a hobby or passion for him but every once in awhile he gets the urge to make one and try something new. He decided he wanted to build a slim line for himself and as long as he was at he made the parts as well. Primarily because I dont have a std slim line kit and he really wanted to see if he could do it. The nose cone, center band, and cap, are brass. He didnt want a clip. He made the pen out of Purple Heart and Koa. It has a ca finish of some sort. Some quick pics.
Jasons%25204th%2520pen%25201.jpg

Jasons%25204th%2520pen%25202.jpg

Jasons%25204th%2520pen%25203.jpg

Jasons%2520th%2520pen%25204.jpg

He knows the brass wont keep its polish although we have everthing he needs to repolish it as he needs. The twist in the wood lines up when its closed but not when the refill is extended.

C&C welcome .... Or is it CC's welcome. Either way

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

boxerman

Tell him he did a super nice job on the pen. And I like the brass hardware. I wish I had the equipment to make my own hardware like that.

maxman400

Quality time is, is quality time whether they are 6, 16 or 34, I stop every thing I am doing when my son decides to come to the shop. Great Pen by the way.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Other than telling him the best way to drill the nose cone and to use a "D" drill bit for the center band it is all his work and ideas. The center band is slightly larger on purpose. Im not sure why but that was the way he wanted it. He did comment that at finishing the lip seemed a lot bigger than when he was making it. The edges are square and I will probably suggest rolling them slightly with a file so they are not as sharp to the touch. The fit at the cap is slightly undersized from inexperience. I do agree with the Qt statement and I make time to let him use my equipment as he needs to. Since I use my lathe and mill for production that can sometimes be slightly inconvenient but of all the things I have done over the years this is the one thing he even slightly has taken an interest in. He does like the twisting wood theme on his pens. And for a while he was working on the challenge of building an all wood Fountain pen.
Here is a picture of the last pen he made for comparison. A PSI Euro kit with walnut and oak.
jasons%2520first%2520pen%25201a.jpg

wizard

Now Before you get all teary eyed, or a warm fuzzy feeling that isnt alcohol induced, My son is 34, every once in a while he likes to make a pen. Its not a hobby or passion for him but every once in awhile he gets the urge to make one and try something new. He decided he wanted to build a slim line for himself and as long as he was at he made the parts as well. Primarily because I dont have a std slim line kit and he really wanted to see if he could do it. The nose cone, center band, and cap, are brass. He didnt want a clip. He made the pen out of Purple Heart and Koa. It has a ca finish of some sort.

Mike...Beautiful pen!!! Too late on the warm fuzzy feeling. Hmm..You say every once in a while he just likes to make a pen. I guess he could just get you to make him one....or maybe he likes spending time with his dad... connecting with you by doing something you like. Just my two cents worth...hey.. but what do I know...was just trained as a shrink and neurologist. He did a beautiful job. Regards, Doc:)
P.S. Hey Mike..will you adopt me too...I really would like to have a second dad to teach me stuff...:biggrin:.

SDB777

Congrats on having a great son there! And my slimes never line up both ways either....I always pick the closed line-up.

Scott (photo's of the shop?) B

Top Bottom