My Slimline Unlimited Entry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from chartle

chartle

This is the third or fourth time I've entered the Slimline Unlimited contest. Last time I got in the final voting round but this is the first time I placed.

I figured a Sierra would be the easiest to make but how to make the non turned non blank parts. Since I don't have a metal turning lathe they would have to made of wood. Next thought was how to finish them. I was going to cover them with gold leaf but I couldn't find the packet I have around here and it a new skill I would have to learn quickly so I just painted them but then I figured if I used the cap it would give a hint to its origin.

I was already working on my first herringbone blanks so I was definitely going use one. One thing I did to use dark wood glue which that now that I look at my pics really brings out the segments. I know there is titebond for dark woods but I didn't have any and at the time couldn't find it locally so I used fine coffee grounds. My burr coffee grinder leaves a coating of fine dust after its done and I used that.

As for the other parts I modified the clip and turned the two copper rings out of plumbing parts. I had to be creative on how to turn it.

Wish I would have taken build pics but this was a time crunch.

Attachments

• Slimline Sierra960.jpg
    Slimline Sierra960.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Nice Pen, Cliff.
Great Blank, I love the Impact of the Coffee Grounds in the Glue, States the Joint Margin Beautifully.
Excellent Choice of Materials, Fit and Finish,
Congratulations,
Brian.

chartle

That's a slimline???

yep I also included a pic of the cap giving you a hint that its a slimline.

The rules of the contest said I only had to use the transmission but by using the cap I used every piece except the center band and it gave me an easy way to finish the top.

Attachments

• sliimline.jpg
    sliimline.jpg
    441.8 KB · Views: 194
  • slimeline cap.jpg
    slimeline cap.jpg
    587.5 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

chartle

I love the Impact of the Coffee Grounds in the Glue, States the Joint Margin Beautifully.

I don't drink enough coffee to color as much glue as I need so I switched to adding a few drops of normal brown craft paint.

I did a test glue up and it doesn't appear to have effected the strength of the glue joint.

magpens

Nicely done !!!! ... a slimline masquerading as a Sierra ... cool !

What woods did you use for the herringbone ?

chartle

Nicely done !!!! ... a slimline masquerading as a Sierra ... cool !

What woods did you use for the herringbone ?

Oak, assuming red, and Paduak. Pictures really don't show how nice it is. Because of how it cut, the Paduak has like a 3D shimmer to it.

I made up my pieces by gluing two long pieces, one oak one Paduak, into an "L" and then cutting that into 3/4" pieces so when its put together the grain runs perpendicular to the body of the pen.

stuckinohio

I thought this one was great. I can never figure out what I want to make in this modified slimline competition. Good job.

Lewis

Top Bottom