My shopping trip to Kohls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

My idea of shopping is to go to Woodcraft, aside from that my wife, Lida, does the household shopping. So recently I asked her to buy me a new tie and she said no and that I was too picky about ties. She sent me to Kohls. Well folks, Kohls was a new experience for me. After wandering aimlessly and occasionally getting distracted by pretty ladies that were also shopping there, I found the ties. One of the racks had a sign that said buy 1 get the 2nd for half price which sounded good to me. I flipped through the ties and grabbed 2 that I liked and headed to the cashier. The cashier quickly recognized that I was new to Kohl's and asked me several bewildering questions about coupons, credit cards, etc. to which I mumbled no. She then asked if I had a smart phone which she took from me and downloaded a coupon to increase my savings. I finally escaped with my ties and something called Kohls dollars that I gave to Lida. When I got home and started taking the tags off the ties, I realized that I had bought a J. Garcia tie which came with a tie tack. I used the tie tack and a label casting to make my advanced kit entry which to my great disappointment failed to place. Some great pens entered there. In any event, here is my J. Garcia tribute pen.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

I've been in Kohl's twice and very similar experience, too many people disorganized and it's own currency....weird! :biggrin:

I really like the pen, great idea and execution, honestly it was your pen that made me surprised that mine placed due to the creativity. Did you use epoxy to attach?

SteveJ

Cody, that is a real nice pen - nice choice of blanks (or nice job casting) to go with the clip, which is well done. I understand the disappointment - we pour our energy into a submission and think it compares favorably (and yours certainly does) with the other entries only to find that we thought more highly of it than others on the site. Look at the positive side - yours finished 4th and you garnered double digit votes. I've entered pens that haven't received even 5 votes...You do great work, keep it up.

Last edited:

Cwalker935

I've been in Kohl's twice and very similar experience, too many people disorganized and it's own currency....weird! :biggrin:

I really like the pen, great idea and execution, honestly it was your pen that made me surprised that mine placed due to the creativity. Did you use epoxy to attach?

Warren, thanks and I hope you realize that I was not disparaging your pen or any of the others, I simply had high hopes for my pen that did not pan out.

I cut and filed the tack off the tie tack, slightly straightened the clip, filed a flat spot on the clip and epoxied the tie tack onto the clip using a closes pin as a clamp.

southernclay

Thanks Cody, from the pics it looks perfectly done. I didn't take it that way at all, I've been there, I think if you ever enter one of these contests and don't have some belief that you could place that you didn't try hard enough. : ) I was surprised at how few entries were in that specific contest but the competition was still tough, really great pens in there. Thanks for sharing the details on how you did it, you em never know when a tie tack may cross one of our paths and make a lightbulb go off in the future.

Top Bottom