My second Polaris . . .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cozee

Status
Not open for further replies.

cozee

Olivewood if I recall correctly came from BigRob. Polaris Black Ti Pencil kit finished with CA. Thankfully I am better with the pens than I am the camera. Sorry.

OLIPOLCIL.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

WOW, the finish looks pretty sweet, and that's a heck of a piece of wood! I'm not a huge fan of the Polaris kits, but you've managed to make the most of that pen - nice job!

cozee

I hadn't but turned a couple of pens before trying CA. I had never finished a pen before but I knew how to finish a car so . . . After trying Fangars method adopted to my way of finishing custom airbrush work with several coats of clear, I have reached the point you now see. It is actually easier than it looks and without MM.

Wood finished with 600 grit. Medium CA applied with the back of the sandpaper (yes, it is cleaned first!!). Hit with accelerator. Wet sand with 1000 grit. Thick CA, hit with accel. Wet sand 1000 grit then 1500. Thick CA, accel, wet sand 1500 grit, 2000 grit, 4000 grit. The last two grits are 3" Abralon pads. I then buff using 3" foam pads. First pad with a machine glaze, wipe down with 3M polishing cloth. 2nd pad with polishing glaze, wipe down with 3M polishing cloth. Wax and buff, again with 3M polishing cloth.

Speeds:

CA application: as slow as the lathe will go!!!

Sanding: about half throttle, 1500-1600 rpm.

Buffing pads: around 1000 rpm and a bit of pressure with finger tips.

Wax and polishing cloth, lathe off and done by hand.

I might put up a how-to on my web site if there is enough interest in a step by step.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom