My second pen - Maple slim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vferdman

vferdman

I promise, I will stop posting EVERY pen I make after I get through the first five kits and learn a thing or two. Then I'll just post the particularly good ones. This one came out real nice and I have improved on the CA finish for sure. I also played around with the middle ring fit. I was trying to see if I can make it go on a bit better, but I think I actually made it worse. No matter, I like the pen. It feels real nice in hand and I really like the bulbous part at the finger grip.

J21jZcF.jpg

YnJu3wb.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vferdman

Thank you, all for the kind words. I do like the maple a lot. But here is a question, and it may belong in a different thread.

This slimline kit has a very hokey center ring. I really don't like the way it fits. It just rattles on the pen between the halves. I glued this one to the top, but it still just has a cheap feel to it. My next pen I think I will do away with it and use a piece of scrap wood to form a ring. Perhaps even use a larger bushing in the middle and go for more of a cigar shape. I really am not crazy about the slimline style, I guess. I find it too skinny to comfortably write with. I always chose my pens to be a bit fatter. Hence the bulb on the maple one. So my question is do any of you do anything else with these slimline kits?

Just for practice and also by request from my 12 year old son i will attempt a straight slimline in purple heart just to practice the straight line. My kid wants that, but to me it just looks like a stick.

Thanks again!

stonepecker

Check out anything by "Russ Fairfield"......He is the first master of slimline pens. Utube.....Library (both here and in your home town)....maybe eBay or Amazon for a book/DVD if they are out there.

I would also look at this years and last years entries to the BASH. Click on the top of the page 'forum" a window will drop down. About 2/3 of the way down in the fist list there is a "Bash ForumArchive". Click on that and enjoy.....lots of pens to look at.

Keep posting your pens.....they are a pleasure to see.

Ross

I never use the center rings. I either just do without it or turn one of my own. Keep turning you're off to a great start.

OZturner

Great Pen, Vladimir.
Excellent Profile and Finish.
About your question if anyone does anything to a Slimline. Have a look on the site, there has just concluded a Slimline Competition. Your mind will be blown away.
Congratulations,
Brian.

vferdman

Thank you, all for kind words and encouragement. I have made my third pen, which I posted about here. Few important departures there. First, I went off the board from the regular slimline shape, got rid of the center ring from the kit. I also made this new one with a skew, which is a first for me. I tried using a skew before and it didn't work, so I used spindle gouge. This time I was able to control the skew almost completely to my desires. Another huge departure is the CA finish. I watches some Russ Fairfield videos and others on CA finish and accomplished an incredible glass-like finish that makes me just stare into its depths at the wood grain. Pretty amazing technique and very simple.

Thanks again for all the help!

--
Vladimir

Top Bottom