My second pen, Classic fountain, spalted ash

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Eddie123

Eddie123

Here is my follow up to this post:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67762

This is a classic fountain pen, 24Kt Gold, with spalted ash, homegrown.
Finished with 6 layers of CA, micromeshed and polished.

I have to add a comment, this is not my 2nd pen to make, but the 2nd I post a picture of here. Have made about 40 pens before this one.

This wood is crosscut, thanks to myself for beeing not thoughtfull when I cut the tree up, and therefore a bugger to turn, since it also is rather rotten. This took me about 7 blanks to make.....

Not completely happy with the fit, but after so many hours, was just happy to have something finished !

Vegard

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fernhills

Yep, know what ya mean. You picked a pain in the butt kit to get the CB right. You also picked a tough blank (cross cut) they are tricky to turn, i little CA would have helped hold a lot together while you were turning. Next ones should go a lot easier for you. Good luck Carl

Eddie123

Yep, know what ya mean. You picked a pain in the butt kit to get the CB right. You also picked a tough blank (cross cut) they are tricky to turn, i little CA would have helped hold a lot together while you were turning. Next ones should go a lot easier for you. Good luck Carl

You are very right, but doesnt look too bad. The wood looks very nice in my eyes, so I am not too displeased.

I did use CA to hold it together, in many stages during the turning. I a, considering finding some wood hardener, have heard people here are using it for rotten wood. Anyone has good advice on how to use wood hardener ? Main problem is that noone sell the stuff here in Norway.

Thanks

Vegard

Top Bottom