And My Second Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Seer

Seer

This one came out nicer I think I do need to get better at turning to the bushings and I thank all of you for your info. This one is made of Bee Wing Narra finished with a thin coat of polyurethane which I out on a towel and applied it as it was turning this stuff dried rather quickly so I polished it and this is what I got.

Attachments

• Bee Wing Narra 1.jpg
    Bee Wing Narra 1.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 217
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Cool, if you're having a problem with the bushings, you can easily omit the center ones.

Just turn the ends (finial and nib), leave them both fat in the middle at the center bushing. Now, turn one down to the largest you'd like to have the pen, then turn the other a little smaller. If you do that and omit the band, it'll look like this: (without the stripes)

grey8.jpg

MobilMan

Looking a lot better. Be careful on lighter woods when sanding. Sand from the blank toward the bushing otherwise you'll pickup some 'black' from the bushing & embed it in the ends of the blank. You can make another set of bushings & use them for final sanding & finishing. Keep up the good work.

JimB

You're getting there. I know how you feel about the bushings. For my first few pens (Ok, more than a few) that was my biggest challenge. I learned to run my fingernail (lathe off) from bushing to wood. If your nail 'catches" then you need to turn more. If your nail transitions smoothly from bushing to wood then you are good (unless you plan a very thick CA finish).

Top Bottom