My Second Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Noot17

Noot17

Turned out much better than the first! Any constructive criticism is welcome.

P. S. I love the turning puns every time someone says it "turned" out great. Every time. :)

P. P. S. Still need to find a better way to photograph my pens...

ba775ca9e932e38c963324472d035b70.jpg

d40fe1f1593effc4822f835b0a844fcf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Looks good from here. The only suggestion I can make is to do us all a favor and shrink your photos some so we do not have to scroll to see them . It is always better to be able to see a pen in one look. Many Newbies have this problem when they join. This site will not automatically shrink them. Unless you do a thumbnail. otherwise you need to do that. many programs out there to do this. Thanks and keep up the good work.

Woodchipper

Very nice. What wood is that? I am new to pen turning. I have turned exactly two pens, actually helped my grandson make pens for his parents. The blank is turned down close to the size of the components. This is what I need to work on- precision turning.
My complements on a nice pen! Let's learn together from the other experienced turners on the forum.

Buddy Stacy

Nice looking pen. The wood reminds me of some black walnut I have here.

I have a thick piece of felt that I photograph most of my pens on. It gives me a consistent, nice looking background. I also make sure to capture the entire pen with enough exposed felt on each end so I can crop back to exactly the look I want.

One thing to note on the bolt action pens, and this may only be a problem for me, no one else may even care about it, but my OCD kicks in and I can't help myself. The bolt handle on a rifle points the same direction as the slot it locks in to. On the pens it points the opposite direction. There is a small Phillips head screw inside the barrel. If you loosen that screw you can turn the handle counter clockwise and line it up to match what a rifle looks like. Now the issue is that the bolt overlaps part of the clip, but, for me at least, this is more acceptable than the bolt facing the wrong direction.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Good looking pen. I use iPhone to post and I'm not sure there is an option on size if pic when posting.

Not sure about all the iphones and all but this came up recently and someone mentioned there is an App you can use that will resize the photos. I would have to do a search to find that but I am sure there has to be a way that can be done.

Noot17

Thanks all! I appreciate the comments.

As for the wood it is black walnut.

For picture sizing when I upload from my phone it gives me the option to adjust the size. I'll pick a smaller one next time. Interesting note though is that it auto adjusts for me so I can see the whole pen...

Thanks for the tip, Buddy. I was thinking the same thing, but wasn't sure if I could move the clip around. I think I might be able to, so I'll swap that. Definitely prefer the more accurate portrayal.

campzeke

Another tip for those that are new to bolt action pens. Check the set screw that holds the bolt in place every time before assembly. Make sure it is tight. I have found most of them are just snugged up and will work loose if you don't tighten it.

tomas

Photo Re-Sizing

Here is a link from Bill Young on another forum. I have used this for several years and it works great.

Bill says, "Open this link

microsoft-powertoys-image-resizer.en.softonic.com/

Click on Power Toys and find ImageResizer.exe

Download that into your computer. This is a one time thing so it will stay on your computer . It is a small file so it is a very quick and easy download . .

Read more: http://wmyoung.proboards.com/thread/9041/resizing-photos-on-windows-pc#ixzz4cNi435Id"

Tomas

OZturner

Nice looking pen. The wood reminds me of some black walnut I have here.

I have a thick piece of felt that I photograph most of my pens on. It gives me a consistent, nice looking background. I also make sure to capture the entire pen with enough exposed felt on each end so I can crop back to exactly the look I want.

One thing to note on the bolt action pens, and this may only be a problem for me, no one else may even care about it, but my OCD kicks in and I can't help myself. The bolt handle on a rifle points the same direction as the slot it locks in to. On the pens it points the opposite direction. There is a small Phillips head screw inside the barrel. If you loosen that screw you can turn the handle counter clockwise and line it up to match what a rifle looks like. Now the issue is that the bolt overlaps part of the clip, but, for me at least, this is more acceptable than the bolt facing the wrong direction.

Hi Buddy,
You didn't mention that when you rotate the Bolt Handle, the Clip also needs to be moved to the Alternate (Right Side) Position, this requires loosening off the Finial Cap, rotating the Clip, till it slips into the small relief, then Tighten the Finial Cap.
Brian.

Buddy Stacy

I have simply never done that. I have never loosened the finial so I did not know it could be repositioned. Nice to know. Thank you! I have always just dealt with the bolt lapping over the clip.

danom

Hi Bob:

Yes you can do it after you have assembled the pen. Just undo the bullet tip, which does unscrew and take out spring and refill. Then obtain a Philips screwdriver with a thin shaft and long enough to reach in to the Philips screw at the bolt end. Just loosen enough to turn the bolt screw to the position you want and then unscrew the very end of the pen so that it is loose enough to turn the clip to the next slotted position. Then tighten the screw with the long Philips screwdriver and reassemble your pen.

Hope this will work for you. I have done it several times. (customer is always right) lol.

danom

Top Bottom