My second European pen!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cherie

Cherie

My second European Pen with Green Acrylic. I used a different bushing for the nib part cause I could not get everything to fit on the mandrel right. I have since found out how to fix that, but other than that, I am happy with this.

Attachments

• P1160645.jpg
    P1160645.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 216
  • P1160647.jpg
    P1160647.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 187
  • P1160654.jpg
    P1160654.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 188
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gbpens

Maybe it's the picture but the center ring does not appear to be flush with the top barrel. Can it be pressed together?

t001xa22

Cherie, just curious: do you do your final sanding and polishing between centers? My reason for asking is that I had the same issue when I started doing my finishing between centers. In the process, my joining end edges would "round over" just a bit, and then would not meet squarely with the metal hardware.

Cherie

Maybe it's the picture but the center ring does not appear to be flush with the top barrel. Can it be pressed together?

Since the center band is glued, I do not think I can press it anymore. I am still learning how to do the tenion so that may be a factor. I do finish out with the centers, so I am guessing I need to work on that. But I am still happy that I am learning.

t001xa22

Cherie, my first comments were purely constructive. I relayed it because I was and am still learning, too. I dare not show you what my second pen looked like, but because of the great folks in this group and their help, I have progressed quite a bit. Due to the complexity of learning how to cut a tenon, I avoided making a Euro pen for quite a while.

Cherie

Cherie, my first comments were purely constructive. I relayed it because I was and am still learning, too. I dare not show you what my second pen looked like, but because of the great folks in this group and their help, I have progressed quite a bit. Due to the complexity of learning how to cut a tenon, I avoided making a Euro pen for quite a while.

Bill, believe me, I thought the same. I am learning how to take my time and rush things like I usually do. LOL. You are so right about the people on the forum and I have to say the ones I have meet on Face Book have been a great deal of help also. Especially when my second Euro should have been from sumac that someone had sent me to turn for him. The wood was so soft in one spot where the core was, that I ended up with a flat spot. In the process of trying to fix that I applied so much CA glue, that I glued my center bushing bands for the Euro together! Bad move, but found out that acetone will take care of that! hehehe:wink:

Jim Burr

Banned
Constructive stuff has been layed out so now have fun! My only suggestion is to get away from mandrel turning as fast as you can. Euro's have an issue when putting them in a pocket...the band catches first. There are some styles out there that are very close to Euros, but bevel that gap for a cooler pen. You picked a tough one and know what to do now! Go make another one!

I just put the center ring right on the mandrel and bushing and turn the pen with it on. Then there is no guessing on the tenon. I put the tenon on then test the ring. Then I CA for 2 layers, retest and touch up the tenon with the parting tool until it just slips on. Then I put a small bead of medium CA right on the blank with the lathe running at about 700 rpm and slip the ring back into place and hit it with a spritz of accelerator. Then I put the remaining coats of CA on the rest of the wood and I am done.

Top Bottom