My Second 10 Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sfhipchick

sfhipchick

I have 10 more pens to share...lots of fun turning different wood and tried a Streamline kit as well. I happen to really like the look of slimlines, so most of my kits are that style but it's nice to try other kits too.

Cast a pair of pine cones for the first time, one in metallic red, the other in metallic blue. Unfortunately I used too much blue so the pen shown appears to be black. Live and learn! The red one may turn out ok but I think it's going to turn out to be too transparent. It will likely be in my next set of pens so we'll see.

I'd love to know what you think and if you have a favorite! :)

(BTW some of the notes are meant for non-woodworking folk...I'm going to guess you all are familiar with chatoyance, lolololol)

Attachments

• Pens11-20_JanetBrien.jpg
    Pens11-20_JanetBrien.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

flyitfast

Welcome to IAP from San Antonio TX
Great looking set of pens. I enjoy all pens and the slimlines/trimlines are some of my favorites. They are fun to modifiy with segmenting and shapes and sizes.
Have a look at Don Ward's (its_virgil) book on Modified Slimlines. You will get some great ideas there. Or, check his website - Redriverpens - lots of good articles and "how to's".
Gordon

Last edited:

sfhipchick

Welcome to IAP from San Antonio TX
Great looking set of pens. I enjoy all pens and the slimlines/trimlines are some of my favorites. They are fun to modifiy with segmenting and shapes and sizes.
Have a look at Don Ward's (its_virgil) book on Modified Slimlines. You will get some great ideas there. Or, check his website - Redriverpens - lots of good articles and "how to's".
Gordon

Thanks so much for your comment and the pointer to Don Ward and his RedRiverPens...I'll definitely check him out! :)

sfhipchick

Great set of pens. I am interested to know how you stood the pens up to photograph them like that.
Eric...

Thank you so much for the comment! :)

My husband is a product photographer and built me a little pen photography studio. It's got a single nail sticking up (within a white backing board box and bounce cards) and when I take the pen refill out, I can then slide the pen onto the pin. The picture I take is then identical to all the other pen pictures. Using Photoshop and the Darken blending mode, it makes the white background transparent. I can then make a row of however many pens I want. The only adjustment I need to make is to remove the bit of visible nail at the nib. I will also remove any dust on the pen. Thanks for asking! :)

ericofpendom

Thanks for the detailed reply. I suspected that photoshop was involved somewhere. Great results, and what a bonus having a product photographer as a husband.
Eric...

sfhipchick

I have a few slimline kits ordered, can't wait to start turning them

Slimline kits are classics and they come in every color you can imagine (even metallic red, blue and green)...I really like the way they showcase the wood. IMO they are really nice. :) I am sure you'll love them!

sfhipchick

Thanks for the detailed reply. I suspected that photoshop was involved somewhere. Great results, and what a bonus having a product photographer as a husband.
Eric...

Yeah, my husband and I are both Photoshop pros from umpteen zillion years back. It's such a powerhouse of a program!

And yes, I love that he's a product photographer because I really am not a fan of all the lights and settings and bounce cards and all of that. But I am also a photographer--just not a product photographer. I am huge into macro and nature photography!

TY for your comment and interest! :)

Top Bottom