my recent experiments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from pssherman

Status
Not open for further replies.

pssherman

Here are some pictures of my recent experiments in bullet pens.

These include a 30-06 and two 308win rifle casings. Two of the pen tops are made from deer antler and the third is made of redwood burl. The Finish on all three is pure CA.
2006221211235_rifle-sm.jpg

Here are two pens made from 45auto pistol casings. I use four casings for each pen. The top pen was made by epoxying two casings together for each half and the lower pen was made by soldering the casing together. The bullet part is made of bloodwood.
200622121136_45auto-sm.jpg

All the casings above were finished with spray lacquer. The finish is not as smooth and durable as I would have liked so, I think I will be investing in a small scale PC operation.

Any comments and critiques welcome and ver;y much needed.
Thanks.

Paul in AR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

I think they all look pretty nice. Soldering the casings together must take a fair amount of time. I've used spray lacquer also and found that I needed to use three coats to get a smooth finish.

pssherman

...Soldering the casings together must take a fair amount of time....

Gerry,
It does take quite awhile to get it right. I used a propane torch and solder it like plumbing. But, it leaves plenty of lumps around the union that must be shaved off then the entire casing needs to be sanded. For this reason I am kinda leaning toward the epoxy method although the line is much more prominent.

Paul in AR

realgenius

I'm partial to deer antler. When we moved into our house here in Las Cruces NM, I found about 5-6lbs of deer antler in the flower bed. Since I began turning I've found the stuf to be a real challenge and alot of fun. It finishes up real pretty.[:D]

Debra

I dont want to take away his comments but the 10 ring is the center of a target zone when shooting (bows, guns etc) its a perfect score I too like antler and have made several pens out of it. The soldering of the smaller shells really makes me think, gives good ideas for other smaller cal shells. Great job on them. [:D]
Bob

M

Mudder

Originally posted by BobNashvillega
<br />I dont want to take away his comments but the 10 ring is the center of a target zone when shooting (bows, guns etc) its a perfect score

Sometimes referred to as the X ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom