My Planned Pretty Wood Entry that was not to be. - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Show Off Your Pens!
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Show Off Your Pens! Let's see your best work!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2019, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 5

Default My Planned Pretty Wood Entry that was not to be.

I had this nicely figured Desert Ironwood I selected for the Pretty Wood contest. The body section of the pen blew apart into 3 pieces while turning. I found the pieces and glued them back together with lots of thin CA and shavings and dust in the cracks and two small missing areas. It helps that my eye sight isnít as good as it use to be, it hides the flaws a bit. Many coats of thin and medium CA, sanded and polished to the final finish. The body near the end is too large for the hardware but I didnít want to chance the blank coming apart again.

The kit is an older gen 1 Jr Statesman with 10mm and 12mm tubes, finished in Rhodium and Gold.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
img_1698.jpg   img_1692.jpg   img_1691.jpg  
More4dan is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-26-2019, 01:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 7

When I see pictures like these it only confirms that my CA finish has room for improvement. That is a beauty of a pen. Desert Ironwood is on my short list of materials to use when I finally get back up and running.

Find me on Facebook HERE
keithncsu is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-26-2019, 01:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithncsu View Post
When I see pictures like these it only confirms that my CA finish has room for improvement. That is a beauty of a pen. Desert Ironwood is on my short list of materials to use when I finally get back up and running.

Thanks Keith. One of my favorite woods, but it sure does stink when sanding. I will use epoxy for the tube next time, the Medium CA fully covered the tube but separated from the wood when it blew apart.

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app
Advertisement
Old 02-26-2019, 02:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by More4dan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithncsu View Post

Thanks Keith. One of my favorite woods, but it sure does stink when sanding. I will use epoxy for the tube next time, the Medium CA fully covered the tube but separated from the wood when it blew apart.

Danny

I stopped using CA to glue tubes almost from the start. Epoxy worked SO much better for me. Don't recall having any blowouts with the epoxy other than when I tried to get a little more "goodie" out of a dull carbide insert few times.

Find me on Facebook HERE
keithncsu is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-26-2019, 02:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

I stopped using CA to glue tubes almost from the start. Epoxy worked SO much better for me. Don't recall having any blowouts with the epoxy other than when I tried to get a little more "goodie" out of a dull carbide insert few times.[/quote]

I lack the patience require sometimes to wait on the epoxy. I usually have a single night during the week to turn and waiting for glue to dry can turn into a week. Iíve had good luck in the past but the ironwood didnít cooperate this time.

Old 02-26-2019, 02:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 4

That is a beautiful pen. Sorry it did not make the contest. I love a jr statesmen set. It is a classy hardware. Probably my favorite.

The others are right, that is a nice finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited by Talltim; 02-26-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Talltim is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-26-2019, 02:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 12

Really nice looking pen Danny. DIW is one of my favorites too.

I was having a lot of issues with pens cracking on the ends during assembly. I was using epoxy and was super rigorous about cleaning the tubes before assembly, but some kits seem to just make the fit too tight. Anyway, I changed to gorilla glue which has reduced this problem considerably. I still sand out the inside of the tube to make the fit a little more loose. The gorilla glue foams up a little so it gives a little room for expansion where the components press in. Also, I think the foaming gives an even spread of glue. The only downside is that the glue doesn't seem to be quite as powerful as epoxy, but it has been a good change for me.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 104

Sure is pretty wood. Best laid plans do not always work out but thanks for showing.

My Photo Album
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-26-2019, 02:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jttheclockman View Post
Sure is pretty wood. Best laid plans do not always work out but thanks for showing.

Especially the day before the entry deadline. First blowout in almost 2 years.

Old 02-26-2019, 03:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Darn shame!
Timber Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads