My PITH Scrap pile

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ctubbs

ctubbs

This pen tried its best to kill me! I built 2 blocks for blanks before I finally managed to get one section to turn without falling apart either being drilled or turned.
Landon, thanks for forcing me to learn how to make a segmented blank and how to drill it without it exploding. Lots of clear packing tape wrapped around the blank helped a lot. It did not completely prevent disintegration but it did reduce the number of pieces that flew off at my head. I even had one loose parts while attempting to apply the finish!
Here are some picts of what is left that were not flung against the wall or other places. I'll let dalecamino post a photo of the pen as he has received it, FINALLY! And many thanks to Chuck for his patience in this matter. I would work on it, get discouraged and lay it aside, then go back and try something different. Finally it was done and shipped, I just hope it does not flay apart now that it is in his position. I am not building another like it ever!
Enjoy the photos and laugh all you can.
This is probably in the wrong forum but I know now where else to post it.
Charles

Attachments

• Scrap 1.jpg
    Scrap 1.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 180
  • Scrap2.jpg
    Scrap2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 192
  • Scrap 3.jpg
    Scrap 3.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 180
  • Blowup.jpg
    Blowup.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 261
  • Leftover.jpg
    Leftover.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 208
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BradG

Hi Charles
That does look splendid. Just a thought for you, and while i appreciate this would not be so easy with the strips of metal, I drill my blanks before i cut them at angles on my saw. This way i can slide one over the brass tube and glue them one by one. It certainly does avoid the issue of them disintegrating while trying to drill the segmented blank.

The metal pieces may be a little more tricky being as its sheet, but providing you you could make a jig which is sloped with the same angle as the pieces cut on the saw it will all slot together quite nicely. Naturally they may not all line up true.. but a quick run along a belt sander pulls them true.

Hope this helps

Kind Regards
Brad

ctubbs

Chuck, thanks for the kind words and great pictures. AI hope you enjoy the 'monster' of my twisted imagination.
Charles

Top Bottom