My PITH pen from GoodTurns

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from lorbay

lorbay

Here is my PITH pen from GoodTurns (Jon Piper). Jon is my substitute PITH partner as my first one did not come through. Although no one has heard from him I am sure he has good reason. I am very pleased with getting a new partner and very very please with my PITH pen. Hunter-27 was the one to put all this into action and contacted a few members to help out with partners who did not get a pen. I was not expecting any of this and I thank you both for doing this. I will let Jon jump in here and tell a little about the pen.
And thanks for the blank on.

Lin.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 153
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GoodTurns

Glad it made the cross-border jump safely! Norfolk Island Pine (not knotty, just nice colors)

Let's have a quick contest! There is a MAJOR error in the making of this pen...1st person to correctly identify the error (and yes, it shows in the pictures above, most obvious in pic 4) gets a goodie box from my shop (US and Canada shipping included). No winner in 24 hours, I'll fess up.

Last edited:

ohiococonut

Looks like a Jr Retro RB.
I can't tell if it's a highlight line or not because the photos not real clear but, right beside the clip there's a line and the grain looks like it's running the opposite direction. Did you have a blow out and replace a section?

If not I can't see a thing wrong :confused:

Rounder

I was going to edit my post last night but got rudely cut off by some silly maintenance issue.:rolleyes: But my guess is that the grain is not lined up on the wood between the top and the bottom. AND it is not at my house. Just wanted to say that again, lol.:biggrin:

azamiryou

Lower barrel bushings (turning diameters) swapped? Looks like the nib end might be a smaller than the finial end, when it should be the other way...

(Or that's just perspective, and I can't see this alleged error.)

Last edited:

ohiococonut

The lower blank itself was upside down before turning?

That's what's tough about all this. We are most critical of our own work that sometimes we're the only one that really knows.

islandturner

That piece of pine has character -- it looks like its already had a long life somewhere, and now has a second life as a highly valued heirloom. Really well done; I'd be proud to have it in my collection...

GoodTurns

We are most critical of our own work that sometimes we're the only one that really knows.

Lin doesn't even know...and has it in hand! Probably a mistake many have made, I would normally have pitched it, but wanted to see if I could make it work and get Lin's pen out as quickly as possible! (didn't have any more "treated" NIP blanks) I have made the "reverse" of this error before and made a save on that one (expensive puzzle blank...had to save it!). Blanks are oriented properly and the trim bits fit well. It wasn't obvious to me until I assembled the pen, then it made me say bad things!

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Wish my mistakes turned out that nice. Nice pen and even nicer gesture. If the IAP ever has to split into good guys and bad guys, Jon's on my side.

jskeen

Looks to me like you used two of the larger trim rings from two kits, so there is no taper to this one. that leads one to assume that the other kit you made was slightly smaller than normal with no taper. Correct?

GoodTurns

Looks to me like you used two of the larger trim rings from two kits, so there is no taper to this one. that leads one to assume that the other kit you made was slightly smaller than normal with no taper. Correct?

nope. all components are correct

jdmacdo

looking again, did you forget to complete the finish on the bottom barrel? The cap shows a brighter shine than the bottom

GoodTurns

OK, it's only been 23 hours, but I'm tired and headed to bed. Attached pic shows the PITH pen with another, correct Jr series pen. Had to scale it just a touch due to perspective skewing it more than real, but you can see the size difference.

When Landon asked if I could cook up another pen, I ran down (well, maybe not real running, but you get the idea) to my shop and grabbed my "cooked" NIP blank (turpentine and BLO soak/dry/soak/dry), grabbed a set of tubes, drilled and glued. next night I mount them on the lathe (I don't usually use bushings, didn't this time) and turned to caliper size, then finished with (to me at least) a dang fine CA shine...good sizing, nice shine, one shot...I'm a happy boy. Grab a Jr Retro Kit to mount it up, make sure the top and bottom are properly aligned...head to the press....WOW, the kit fits with NO FRICTION at all...not even close. Still not positive what the pen is made with...pretty sure the nib side is a Sierra tube...no idea what the top is! Sierra guess is based on the length and the fact that it fit the right size hole drilled for a Jr...maybe a little loose, but glued up fine. I made my first hybrid pen....A sierra tube, an unidentified tube and a Jr Retro kit.

I had no more prepped blanks, and wasn't going to tell Lin he had to wait an extra week for me to prep them. I took the retro fitting to the lathe and did a CA build up to fit the tubes, then glued as normal. I had calipered the outside, so no issue there, but the proportions on the pen ar just wrong...it's got a long "tail" but it works, looks nice and shiny and Lin is happy (priority #1).

As some have said, we are our own worst critics, but I guess I get to brag about all the new things i tried while making my pine pen!

Attachments

• pith comp.jpg
    pith comp.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 112

jskeen

Actually, I like the stretch look. But being a rollerball, did you have to add a spacer, relocate the spring or do something else to make sure the refill was located correctly with the right pressure in the nib?

Might be great for a fountain pen, the extra length might let you store a spare cartridge more easily.

lorbay

Actually, I like the stretch look. But being a rollerball, did you have to add a spacer, relocate the spring or do something else to make sure the refill was located correctly with the right pressure in the nib?

Might be great for a fountain pen, the extra length might let you store a spare cartridge more easily.

Jon was it supposed to be the same length as the Jr Gent?? If so I can see jskeen point. But if not it was just the wrong tube and you had to build up the fittings, Right.??

Lin.

GoodTurns

wrong tube, wrong length... took out the spring, used a small hole punch to cut a couple of pressboard discs the right size, put them in the top then put the spring back in...

Top Bottom