My PITH to NewLondon88

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MartinPens

MartinPens

Charlie has had his hands full getting my PITH done, so I'm posting what he has received from me. When I get what he is sending, I'll photograph it and post it. I'll let him tell the story of what he's sending me on that post! (I can't wait to see it)

This is Desert Ironwood and Buckeye.

Attachments

• CI54-3642.jpg
    CI54-3642.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 297
  • CI54-3644.jpg
    CI54-3644.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 253
  • CI54-3645.jpg
    CI54-3645.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 184
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Indeed I am! :biggrin:

Can't tell you how many people want to keep it. And a friend has a
consignment store.. wanted to sell it.

of course, he gets lots of used junk coming into the store. Kinda got
irritated when I told him it wasn't a $10 pen.. :rolleyes:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I'm probably not the only one to spot this, but check out how the grain in the cap and body align. :rolleyes: Makes ya sick, doesn't it!!??:mad::biggrin:

....and Charlie !!! :eek: Shame on you !!!! How can you have friends that can't spot quality and have to be told that it's not a cheapie??. :rolleyes::tongue:

Hendu3270

Wow! Wow! Simply amazing. That's some nice ash... lol Really though, I can only imagine how you did the ash. That's is awesome. Do you make your own boxes as well?

MartinPens

I'm probably not the only one to spot this, but check out how the grain in the cap and body align. :rolleyes: Makes ya sick, doesn't it!!??:mad::biggrin:

....and Charlie !!! :eek: Shame on you !!!! How can you have friends that can't spot quality and have to be told that it's not a cheapie??. :rolleyes::tongue:

Steve! Thanks!
I haven't forgotten and yours and Gils are next on the list. I have some nice Cocobolo coming in and I might try some of that.
Thanks again, everyone, for the kind remarks.

Charlie,
I think everything looks cheap to someone running a consignment store. My Mom is a thrift store nut (so am I) and she won't pay much for anything. It was really hard for me to price my work at the rate that the niche market called for - but to my pleasant surprise - it is a good fit.
Glad you like it. I am stalking the postal man here!

Martin

MartinPens

Do you make your own boxes as well?

I get the boxes from PSI. (no-one else carries them)
They are called "High-end Bubinga" They are not Bubinga by any stretch of the imagination. I do like them a lot, but if I had the money, I would be ordering my own custom boxes from Hong Kong at a third of the price.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
They are called "High-end Bubinga" They are not Bubinga by any stretch of the imagination. I do like them a lot, but if I had the money, I would be ordering my own custom boxes from Hong Kong at a third of the price.

I've looked at the boxes and the top layer is a laminate. I'm pretty
sure the rest of the box is something like paulownia or China fir.
Pretty well done, though. I've tried making them myself without too
much luck so far (benchtop tools, you know!) but they don't look
terribly difficult with steady tools.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader

I guess it depends on what we consider to be expensive, according to our own tastes. He offered short money for the pen and couldn't see why I would be upset. But when I made the same offer for his wife... :eek:

And yeah.. that alignment is perfect. I think his saw kerf is 0.00002 :tongue:

MartinPens

Charlie & Steve,

Getting that line to practically disappear with as little wood loss as possible took some doing. I make one thin cut and it never gets touched after that. Well... Almost never. ; )

Top Bottom