My PITH from juteck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mike8850

Mike8850

I received my pen today juteck.

IMG_5822-001.jpg IMG_5821-001.jpg

The pen is African Blackwood and Paduak Burl.
John did an excellent job of segmenting and finishing the pen.
He also included some very nice blanks that I can't wait to turn.
Thanks again John,
Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

juteck

Mike - I'm glad you like it.

The pen is from a discontinued "Ambassador" series that Craft Supplies UK used to carry. This is very close in size to a full size "Gentlemen" pen, with some differences. No bushings were available for this kit when I made my first one in 2001 or 2002 (?), so it was my first experience with turning between centers, and before I ever knew of TBC. This pen was the second of that style I've ever made, and had been planning on a PITH event to make this pen. I have about 8 more of these kits left, and think future PITH's may see more of these! I like the heft, and I hope the PITH recipients do as well.

In planning this pen, I had originally looked for a piece of black wood that would only have the sapwood on the cap, but changed my plans early on and found this piece in my stash that would give just a hint of sapwood on the body. I like the way it came out!

For the laminations, this was my second attempt at trying to do this with a heavy gauge aluminum. I tried metal laminations on my last PITH, and struggled with the glue joints. This one was no different. I started with JB Weld, and blew the first joint when incremental drilling. Had that happen several times at different joints, then tried 5 Minute epoxy. That held in part too, but I also lost a joint with that. Getting late one night in the drilling, I finally opted for thick CA, and that got me through the drilling part of it. Hole cleaned with denatured alcohol, then a good CA soak, the tubes were glued in with epoxy, which I knew would reinforce the laminations during turning, which held fine after that. So as you see it, there are some glue joints on this pen held together with JB Weld, some with epoxy, and some with CA.

The wood at the finial end of the body is thinner than that of an El Grande - there's not much there. A notch had to be filed in the wood and brass to recess the clip - this was another one of my struggle points.

The finish is multiple coats of Generals Woodturners Finish, cut back to give a Matt finish instead of gloss, to give the wood a warmer feel.

The fun part about the PITH event are pushing your normal boundaries, and developing a new friendship with a fellow turner. When I was teamed up with Mike, he had my pen in the mail and in my hands within a few days. Mine, not so quick. I kept him informed of my progress, between life being busy and then my struggles with assembly, and he waited patiently for his turn to receive his pen. So thanks again for your patience Mike. It was absolutely my pleasure sharing this PITH event with you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Top Bottom