My PITH to Firewhatfire (first segmented)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from yorkie

yorkie

Firewhatfire's pen really pushed me to create something out of my comfort zone.

My area of specialty is rare and exceptional burls and two tones. But, I also collect historic woods. I've never attempted segmenting before but here's what I made.

I took a piece of Oak from a 1850's schooner from Wiscasset, a piece of teak from the deck of the USS North Carolina, a piece of LV that was used to wrap the propeller shaft of the USS Mariposa-a troop transporter in the Pacific during WW2, and a piece of Angelique from another schooner-the Spirit of South Carolina. I joined them all together at 60 degrees and sandwiched a slice of brass between each, as a nod to the historic ships.

It is my first attempt at segmenting, let alone using metal between the pieces. The kit is a chrome Zen. Finish is 14 coats of CA.

Attachments

• IMG_1063.jpg
    IMG_1063.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_1062.jpg
    IMG_1062.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 191
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Whoa, Stephen, nice work! Firewhatfire's gonna be a happy, happy boy.

Questions -
1 - Is this a pen kit? If yes, which one?
2 - What did you use for the brass stock?
3 - What did you use to adhere everything? (In case you haven't figured it out, I may want to try this one, too!)

yorkie

The kit is a chrome Zen kit.

I cut open some brass tubes and hammered them flat

I used 20 minute epoxy and five minute epoxy. They came apart a couple times and I found I had to keep re-gluing them. Eventually I put them on the tube and overdosed on the epoxy before clamping, as the tube kept everything in place. Next time, I think I'll drill each piece and build up the layers on the tube before gluing and clamping. That's probably how you're supposed to do it and I never knew.

Hope this helps.

Whoa, Stephen, nice work! Firewhatfire's gonna be a happy, happy boy.

Questions -
1 - Is this a pen kit? If yes, which one?
2 - What did you use for the brass stock?
3 - What did you use to adhere everything? (In case you haven't figured it out, I may want to try this one, too!)

walshjp17

Absolutely beautiful, Yorkie. As a retired Navy type, I love the idea of using wood from ships with a bit of history to them. Where did you find/acquire your wood?

Cheers,

John W.

Last edited:

yorkie

I got most of it through trades. The USS NC wood I bought a section of the decking as they were rebuilding it several years ago.

Absolutely beautiful, Yorkie. As a retired Navy type, I love the idea of using wood from ships with a bit of history to them. Where did you find/acquire your wood?

Cheers,

John W.

Jim Burr

Banned
Sweet job Stephen and the historic value is immeasurable! The finish is great!!
I do a lot of segmenting...lots!!! In most cases, CA does a good job of holding things together. Heat is the causal factor in delaminating so drilling very slowly, like 150rpm is crucial. It's easier to assemble the blank then drill rather than drilling each piece, but that's MHO only!! A Ci type or carbide tool really helps in turning…again low heat creation. Hope this isn't a hijack…just passing on stuff:redface:

Top Bottom