My personal "advanced" pen...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DKF

DKF

My personal move towards "advanced pen making"....not completely advanced as far as kitless, but using fewer parts from the kit....JR. Gent. Blk Ti....Shaeffer material from Xylostyle.....closed end with custom end cap/finial. Thank you guys for all your inspiration on moving towards these types of pens. Comments and critiques really are welcome...

2008613381_IMG_1957.jpg

20086133834_IMG_1962.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

Don,

That Shaeffer serpent rod sure makes a great looking classic pen and you did an great job on a hard blank.

Texatdurango

One way of looking at advanced pen making means grabbing for a bag of parts and when the pen is finished, you have parts left over! :D

I think it looks very nice. Did you thread the cap finale on or glue it on?

randyrls

Originally posted by DKF

My personal move towards "advanced pen making"....not completely advanced as far as kitless, but using fewer parts from the kit....JR. Gent. Blk Ti....Shaeffer material from Xylostyle.....closed end with custom end cap/finial. Thank you guys for all your inspiration on moving towards these types of pens. Comments and critiques really are welcome...

Donald; Very nice! I have some of this rod in my "build box" right now. I am starting on a new round of pens this weekend.

DKF

Thanks all for the kind words...I would have to say that this is the most challenging material I have used to date...

Originally posted by Texatdurango

:D Did you thread the cap finale on or glue it on?

It was turned to specs of the kit end cap, and then pressed and glued in....

randyrls

Originally posted by DKF

Very nice pen! I have one of these rods in my "build box" now. Drilling for the tubes caused some "gummy" strings to come out of the hole. UGH!

It looks like this melts / softens at low temperature.

DKF

Originally posted by randyrls

Originally posted by DKF

Very nice pen! I have one of these rods in my "build box" now. Drilling for the tubes caused some "gummy" strings to come out of the hole. UGH!

It looks like this melts / softens at low temperature.

The key to drilling, thanks to some great advice from Roy (OKLAHOMAN), is slow RPM, and water. Otherwise, as you found out, you have a soft, gooey mess.

Top Bottom