My Pentel Pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dale Parrott

Dale Parrott

I had a little shop time this past weekend and this is what I made. Another one of my Pentel pencil conversions. This time made from Cross Cut Olive Wood and a CA finish. I hope you like it.

Attachments

• 1-DSCF6907-002.JPG
    1-DSCF6907-002.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 339
  • 2-DSCF6908-001.JPG
    2-DSCF6908-001.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 212
  • 3-DSCF6909-001.JPG
    3-DSCF6909-001.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 209
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful job Dale. The grain is incredible. I appreciate seeing a longer blank when the timber is as nice.

Rolandranch

Very nice pencil! I use Pentel pencils and was wondering if you got this as a kit or you just took a pencil apart and used the components. I would love to make something like this for my dad but I'm not sure if I can figure it out. Thanks.

Last edited:

Tom T

Yes sir greating looking pen. The wood has wonderful grain in it. Fit and finish tops as always. I have about seven or so Pental pencils in and around my work bench. I can see me giving what you have done a shot. Thank you for sharing.

Dale Parrott

I haven't checked this thread for a while and thought it was dead. Thank you for all the comments. There are several ways to make these that are explained in the IAP library. There is also a wealth of information out there if you Google "Pentel pencil conversion".
My procedure is to use a step drill sold by an IAP member, a homemade pin chuck and basically turn between centers. The blanks are drilled on the lathe using "PSI Pen Blank Drilling Jaws". Normally I don't use any tubes (you can) but do use CA to strengthen the end product. The finished tube walls are only about a 1/16" thick.
The unique grain pattern on this pencil is a result of turning cross grain. I love the cross grain challenge but you have to go slow.

Top Bottom