My Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jkinosh

jkinosh

These are some of the pens that I have turned so far, I would appreciate any comments or suggestions. All Slimline kits are from Wood N' Whimsies.

Pen 1: Black Cherry and a Black Chrome Slimline Kit.

pen1.jpg

Pen 2: Black Cherry with a Chrome Slimline Kit, it has a finish of HUT Crystal Coat

pen2.jpg

Pen 3: Black Cherry, and a chrome Slimline kit. This is also my first attempt at a CA/BLO Finish.

pen3.jpg

Pen 4: Bloodwood with a Chrome Slimline Kit, again a CA/BLO Finish.

pen4.jpg

Pen 5/6: the Lower half is Purple Heart, and the top is Indian Rosewood. Half of each blank self-destructed whil turning, so I used the 2 halves and made a whole pen, it has a CA/BLO Finish.

pen5.jpg

Pen 7: Padauk on a Chrome slimline kit with Burned Bands near the Nib. CA/BLO Finish

pen6.jpg

Pen 8/9: These are 2 Blue/White Acrylic Cigar Pens from Rockler kits.

pen7.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look.
Jacob

--------------------
Measured Once, Cut Twice and still to short.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

If you posted them in the order you made them, I see improvement as you go. I'm not a fan of odd shapes so I don't care for the ones with the bulges, but that is just me, others will like them. I really like 7-8-9. My favorites.

P.S. If you move this to the "Show Off Your Pens" section they will probably get more comments.

jkinosh

Thanks for the kind words.

I will remember that about posting in the other forum in the future, I was looking for the info on how to move the post, but I see someone else already has.

Thanks,
Jacob

Ligget

Good work Jacob, I am not sure about the bulges either, however, you are doing really well. You should have seen some of the things I produced in my early penturning days, they are absolutely dreadfull.

Keep on turning, as they say "Practice makes perfect"!:)

jkinosh

After completing the pens, I found that the pen 3 is the only one with the bulges that is comortable, they actually hug your finger when you write with it. When I completed it, I had them laying on the counter, and my wife immediatly claimed that one as hers for that reason.

She is actually the one who picked out the acrylic and the Titanium Cigar kits. She like a larger pen, and thought they looked comfortable from the display at Rockler.

Jacob

Zawoogie

I like the blue pens also. I tried making pens with bumps and humps but they don't go too well. Different strokes for different folks. Keep up the nice work. They are loooookin' good.

jkinosh

Thanks for all the kind words.

Right now I'm waiting for the sun to do its magic on another Purpleheart blank that I turned similiar to Pen 7. My wife liked the purple color of the blank, and I knew that once it was turned it looses that Nice Purple color, but it is supposed to turn again when it is in the sun for a day or 2, so I'll see what it looks like tonight, then hopefully get the CA/BLO finish on it. I might even have to try the Plexiglas finish I have read about, but I need to get some acetone first, I do have some letover Plexi from a scrollsaw project I did a while back.

Jacob

bitshird

Hi Jacob, like most of the others I don't really go for the dramatic bulges on pens, but on other turnings they constitute an art form. I do like your wasp waisted slimlines and the #7 paduk is very nice for just B2B the burn lines give it some pizazz, :cool: your cigars are beautiful, If you are just starting on pens, I'd say you gots a bright future, better go get some shades ;););)

Scott

Hi Jacob!

The pens are coming along nicely! I like the #7 pen - it looks like you got everything straight and even, and I like the grooves. The cigars in the blue and white acrylic are super! What's your finish on the wood pens? Keep up the good work!

Scott.

jkinosh

Scott,

The finish on all but the first 2 pens is CA/BLO, I believe the instructions were from Russ Fairfield's Video Tips, but I read quite a few instructions and watched so many different videos, that they all sort of run together. I guess I just sort of found something that works for me and I'll stick to it.

Jacob

Top Bottom