My pen #4 - purple heart slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vferdman

vferdman

Well, this one was requested by my 12 year old son to be a "normal" slimline. He loves those, apparently and he loved the looks of the purple heart blank. Here is the pictures:

pFuq2MG.jpg

TZn4uAE.jpg

lFe1nf9.jpg

The turning came out great, I think, though the center ring is a bit small even though I turned to the bushings. Perhaps I have buildup of glue on the bushings making them slightly bigger... Will investigate. Anyway, the turning was great, done with a roughing gouge most of the way and then finished with a skew. I am enjoying getting better with a skew. It leaves a very smooth surface and start sanding with 220 right off the lathe.

The finish, however, did not happen on this one. Lots of white areas in the grain. I think I may have rushed the coats (no accelerator). Still, a decent pen and good result in actual turning with a skew.

plantman

Looks good to me. I'm sure your son will be proud to show everyone what his dad made for him. Only suggestion. Don't trust the bushings for size. Measure all components with a digital calipers and use the bushings to get close only. Jim S

Top Bottom