My new favorite pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MarkD

MarkD

Every once in awhile I finish a pen and instantly decide that it's going to be my new carry pen. This is one of those. It's a stainless steel Liberty pen in Irish Bog Oak. I really like the contrast of the stainless steel with the almost black Irish Bog Oak. This is the first Liberty pen I have tried. I really like the weight and balance of this pen.
C&C are appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

Beautiful pen, Mark. The F&F is spot on and the IBO goes well with the kit. IBO is probably my favorite timber. Old folks like old things, I guess :wink::biggrin::wink:

SDB777

I looked at the photo in it's 'full size', this timber is almost so black in doesn't have any grain structure.....or is it just the photo?

What kind of finish do you use? I like it!!

Scott (nice f-n-f) B

Dan Masshardt

You have the best ca finish for bog oak I've seen Normally I do not like ca on it and have actually stripped ca off one to go with my standard finish for IBO

MarkD

I looked at the photo in it's 'full size', this timber is almost so black in doesn't have any grain structure.....or is it just the photo?

What kind of finish do you use? I like it!!

Scott (nice f-n-f) B

I think the reflective qualities of the CA finish make it hard to see any grain in the photo, even when zoomed in. If you hold the pen under a light ( or outside ) you can see a slight variation of color ( dark brown to black ) in the grain but unless you look real close it just looks like a very dark brown blank.

MarkD

You have the best ca finish for bog oak I've seen Normally I do not like ca on it and have actually stripped ca off one to go with my standard finish for IBO
There is no secret to my CA finish. I just make sure all dust has been been removed from the nooks and crannies before I start the CA. On the IBO I only use medium CA. I apply a coat and walk away for a few minutes ( no accelerator ). I keep applying coats of CA building it up until all the voids have been filled, I believe this blank has 9 or 10 coats of CA. I let the blank sit over night. I then go through the micro mesh followed by liquid polish and lastly I lightly buff it.

What is your standard finish for IBO?

Dan Masshardt

There is no secret to my CA finish. I just make sure all dust has been been removed from the nooks and crannies before I start the CA. On the IBO I only use medium CA. I apply a coat and walk away for a few minutes ( no accelerator ). I keep applying coats of CA building it up until all the voids have been filled, I believe this blank has 9 or 10 coats of CA. I let the blank sit over night. I then go through the micro mesh followed by liquid polish and lastly I lightly buff it. What is your standard finish for IBO?

I have no problems with my ca technique. I just don't like the look of ca normally on IBO but yours stands out

I, like many others, prefer a matte finish for bog oak specifically Really it's the only pen material I like it on as I'm a high gloss guy most of the time

My goal is for the wood to have finish in it but not really I it if that makes any sense.

I use literally a drop of pens plus after each grit of sanding I wipe the dust off the blank but don't blow it off No pens plus after 800 grit Then a coat of renn wax This method fills all voids nicely And the pen feels very natural

Attachments

• image-3277377821.jpg
    image-3277377821.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 87

MarkD

My goal is for the wood to have finish in it but not really I it if that makes any sense.

I use literally a drop of pens plus after each grit of sanding I wipe the dust off the blank but don't blow it off No pens plus after 800 grit Then a coat of renn wax This method fills all voids nicely And the pen feels very natural

That's a great looking Pen. The natural finish looks great with that hardware. I bet it feels nice in the hand.
I have a bottle of pens plus which I have never opened. I need to give it a try.

Top Bottom