My new carry pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alphageek

alphageek

Former Moderator
There is times when a slim pen is in order... I acquired a new variation on a kit and I want to do a detailed evaluation before I sell it. I really like the style of clip compared to most slim pens. So I picked a nice piece of olive wood and made then pen I plan on having in my pocket for a while.

image-1004988013.png

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Robert111

That's my carry pen too. The one I have is a Hart kit from Woodcraft. It's a double twist, like the cigar pen, but medium diameter, about half way between a Slim and Cigar. My Hart has a different center band but the same clip. Mine is in coco. My impression is that it's a kinda tough little pen to make because the tube lengths--both--are critical.

Nice pen, though. Real nice piece of olive.

ghostrider

That's my carry pen too. The one I have is a Hart kit from Woodcraft. It's a double twist, like the cigar pen, but medium diameter, about half way between a Slim and Cigar. My Hart has a different center band but the same clip. Mine is in coco. My impression is that it's a kinda tough little pen to make because the tube lengths--both--are critical.

Nice pen, though. Real nice piece of olive.
The Hart is a different pen kit altogether. The Woodcraft kit equivalent is the Toni Twist.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2004932/22915/Toni-Twist-Ballpoint-Pen-Kit--Chrome.aspx

I've got a lot of those kits, and have don't lots of them. That particular clip style allows more variation in the shape of the upper barrel.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Ghostrider is right... This is truly a slim type kit (i.e. cross mechanism), not like the Hart. I've never tried the Hart - that will have to be another one I check out since I do like this style clip.

Buzzzz4

I like this style a lot. It is my standard slim that I sell (as Ghostrider can attest to). Not a fan of the Hart at all. It feels cheap in the hand to me. By the way GJNP :)

ghostrider

I like this style a lot. It is my standard slim that I sell (as Ghostrider can attest to). Not a fan of the Hart at all. It feels cheap in the hand to me. By the way GJNP :)
Yep,

There's all kinds of variations of the Cross fed pens.

This one is commonly called the streamline, but there is also the Comfort, and now the Graduate (now in roller ball also). They make a wider pen than the regular slimline, and the variation in the clip allows for more latitude in the shape of the upper barrel.

Drstrangefart

I LOVE streamlines. If you can make your own centerbands, you can turn regular Slims int Streamlines easily enough. I like using bushings from a bullet kit to make them even beefier. That being said, the olivewood looks great on that kit. The gunmetal(that right?) is an interesting choice. Looks good.

alphageek

Former Moderator

Thanks for the feedback on the Hart. I'll wait until I can see one at woodcraft before jumping into that one then.

I LOVE streamlines. If you can make your own centerbands, you can turn regular Slims int Streamlines easily enough. I like using bushings from a bullet kit to make them even beefier. That being said, the olivewood looks great on that kit. The gunmetal(that right?) is an interesting choice. Looks good.

Yes, its gunmetal (and I chose the olive wood both because I love the look and because I thought it would look good with the hardware). The plating is part of the reason I'm going to carry this pen for a while. I love the look of the gunmetal, but gave it up for more durable finishes. With some of the plating threads a bit ago, I'm giving it another chance (as a personal pen at least).

As for making your own center bands - I've done that to make a slim into a comfort/streamline. My next challenge that I'm going to try is turning a slimline into a "euro" - I love seeing the ones that people here have done that to.

Drstrangefart

Thanks for the feedback on the Hart. I'll wait until I can see one at woodcraft before jumping into that one then.

Yes, its gunmetal (and I chose the olive wood both because I love the look and because I thought it would look good with the hardware). The plating is part of the reason I'm going to carry this pen for a while. I love the look of the gunmetal, but gave it up for more durable finishes. With some of the plating threads a bit ago, I'm giving it another chance (as a personal pen at least).

As for making your own center bands - I've done that to make a slim into a comfort/streamline. My next challenge that I'm going to try is turning a slimline into a "euro" - I love seeing the ones that people here have done that to.

I've used a Bullet bushing on the top barrel and a Comfort bushing on the bottom barrel to get a vaguely Euro-ish shape. Don't know if that'll help you any.

PenMan1

Nice pen, Dean!

If writing through NCR "carbon less" forms, it is difficult to beat a Cross type refill!

Last edited:
Top Bottom