My most complex segmentation so far.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ChrisN

ChrisN

This is the most complex segmentation I have done so far. It's made of Osage Orange, Blackwood or Ebony, Maple, and an unknown red wood on a Black Ti Jr. Gent kit. I used aluminum flashing to line the joints. It is finished with CA, sanded with the first few grits of MM, and then buffed with #0000 steel wool. And yes, the finial is leaving -- sometime. I'm not sure what color to make it though.
IMG_6354-resize.jpgIMG_6353-resize.jpg
The segments at the end were a pain! :mad: Most of the problem was how I did it. I turned the blanks round before drilling, and wrapped them with masking tape to minimize the chance of an explosion. (It worked to an extent.) I drilled them in several steps, and after I drilled the next-to-last size, I flooded the hole with thin CA. Unfortunately, some joints had separated without me knowing it, and the CA filled up the gaps. After I took the masking tape off, I had a little repair work to do - break the joints apart, clean up the excess glue, and re-glue. :at-wits-end: The barrel is the best looking, but even that has some wide glue joints where the pieces separated. After that, though, it was a piece of cake. Well, almost. Don't ask about the finishing process!:biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

firewhatfire

Instead of masking tape next time try gauze and drizzle it with thin CA. It may help some with the separating issue. Using aluminum makes the blanks heat up a lot faster. I only drill about 1/4 inch at a time with that much metal.

Top Bottom