My most challenging work so far, as a newbie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DJBPenmaker

DJBPenmaker

I am a relative newcomer to pen-turning so please don't be too harsh. Any comments or advice are very welcome though. Please excuse the photography.
One pen is waxed finish, the other is cyanoacrylate.

Attachments

• ProShot_20161023_194922.jpg
    ProShot_20161023_194922.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_20160415_223804.jpg
    IMG_20160415_223804.jpg
    596.8 KB · Views: 375
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bpgoldo

Derek, totally outa da park. Home run. Hat trick. You gotta do a lot more. Risk and push the envelope on what you think you can do. Amaze us all. Looking forward to seeing many many more from you.

Kenny Durrant

Both are great pens. I have a question on the second one. First off this isn't criticism. I'm curious to how you made the blank. I noticed the patterns are very symmetrical and the colors are reversed. Did you make the top and bottom separately or cut two pieces of wood and cut and glue them up as one piece? I made two pens that are similar to yours and I stacked two blanks on top of one another then cut the angles. when I finished cutting the pieces I swapped the different colors out and made two exact pens with the colors reversed on each pen. Just being nosy.

DJBPenmaker

Both are great pens. I have a question on the second one. First off this isn't criticism. I'm curious to how you made the blank. I noticed the patterns are very symmetrical and the colors are reversed. Did you make the top and bottom separately or cut two pieces of wood and cut and glue them up as one piece? I made two pens that are similar to yours and I stacked two blanks on top of one another then cut the angles. when I finished cutting the pieces I swapped the different colors out and made two exact pens with the colors reversed on each pen. Just being nosy.

Hi and thank you :)
With that pen I cut lots of triangles from two different woods and glued them alternately with plastic card between into one long blank, made the cleanest, straightest cut I could to get the two pen halves. When assembling I just assembled with the two halves at 180 degrees to each other (if I turn 180 degrees the colours match)
I like the idea of stacking, could have saved myself a lot of work!

Top Bottom