My MAPG Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Indiana_Parrothead

Some things have come up that I will not be abel to attend MAPG later this week. But since I put some time in on this pen I thought that I would go ahead and post it. I know the pictures are bad, some serious glare from the lights, no light tent.

It is a segmented watch parts pen on a full size Emperor. The dial on the watch is a Breitling Chronometer and the wood segments are King Wood. I had started off with the segments being Tonga Nuts, it took one nut for each of the segments. As I started to get the blank round on of the segments shattered. I cut up and sanded 4 more nuts and could not get a big enough clean piece to get another band. I think the King wood turned out okay anyway. The finish on the King Wood is CA.

Thanks for looking

Attachments

• IMG_0771.jpg
    IMG_0771.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_0766.jpg
    IMG_0766.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0761.jpg
    IMG_0761.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0768.jpg
    IMG_0768.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 207
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Mike; that is an amazing looking pen, spot on fit and finish. I really like the segmented blank it takes it up a few notch's. Sorry to hear you are unable to attend the MAPG.

Mike, that is a beautiful pen! Please describe the segmenting process you used. Did you tenon the carbon fiber cast?

I painted the tubes a flat black and glued on the carbon fiber with CA. Then turned the ends back down to the tube. I made up my pieces of the tonga nut and and glued them on with epoxy. Then glued all the watch parts on as normal and cast in epoxy.

When I started to turn it one of the tonga nut ends just exploded, that is some really hard stuff. I tried four more nuts to try and get another end segment without cracks and finally ran out of nuts. So I turned off the other three and cut and drilled pieces of king wood. I ended up taking off more of the end than I wanted to to get a clean joint.

Glued on the king wood with epoxy and then sanded the ends down on a belt sander. Then it turned pretty good.

Janster

Mike, that is a beautiful pen! Please describe the segmenting process you used. Did you tenon the carbon fiber cast?

I painted the tubes a flat black and glued on the carbon fiber with CA. Then turned the ends back down to the tube. I made up my pieces of the tonga nut and and glued them on with epoxy. Then glued all the watch parts on as normal and cast in epoxy.

When I started to turn it one of the tonga nut ends just exploded, that is some really hard stuff. I tried four more nuts to try and get another end segment without cracks and finally ran out of nuts. So I turned off the other three and cut and drilled pieces of king wood. I ended up taking off more of the end than I wanted to to get a clean joint.

Glued on the king wood with epoxy and then sanded the ends down on a belt sander. Then it turned pretty good.

..Very nice pen and a great SAVE! Be well......Jan

elkhorn

Outstanding! Great job, my friend. If it stops telling time, just box it up and send it to me. My wife says I can't tell time anyway when I'm in the shop:big grin:

Fit and finish are spot on.

OZturner

What a Beautiful set of Blanks, and a mind blowing journey, Mike.
I love your recovery, it makes the Watch Components look like an Insert in the King Wood.
Outstanding components, Beautifully Prepared and Strategically placed.
Superb Fit and Finish.
The signature of a Dedicated Craftsman and a Perfectionist.
Congratulations,
Brian

Top Bottom