My Latest Steampunk effort.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Si90

Si90

I made this pen more of a proof of concept/practice piece to trial a couple of new techniques and materials - It's not my most favourite pen I have made, but in terms of the materials etc it's the one thats cost me the most to make.

The first thing is that it's the first pen I have fully silver soldered. This gives nice joints but does bring with it a few things to consider. The melting point is 660 to 730°C - thats hot and its's low temp solder. When you consider that there are a lot of joints in close proximity with very light weight/thin walled brass its's very easy to destroy the brass.

The rings around the pen are actually brass portholes intended for model boats. Each ring is 2 portholes soldered together.

The other issue is that it's almost impossible to stop brass from tarnishing. They look great polished but it would take a small amount of effort on the owners part to maintain this. I wanted to try and embrace the aged look and if possible enhance it so that you don't feel you have to keep it polished. I bent the thin rails and the ends of the tubes a few times to make them look old, used and beaten up. The pen was polished and then strategically heated to give it the aged look.

It's proved to me that I have to invest in a better way of holding parts firmly in position while soldering. Some of the parts moved so the cap isn't as straight or inline as well as I would have liked but again its made in "used condition"

My final conclusion is as my friend "Mr Skiprat" likes to keep reminding me :):) I would find it a lot easier to realise my ideas if I went kitless and had a metal lathe and mill. It's quite difficult, but not impossible to make some of the things I imagine out of stock pieces of brass and make them fit the kit parts I am using. Maybe thats for the future but for now here it is.

As always thanks for taking the time to look at my efforts. Sorry for a couple of the pics that are out of focus.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Si90

Awesome work. I like the finial, is it glass or plastic?

The tubes are actually borosilicate glass test tubes. The body is a whole tube and the cap is cut down to 15mm or so. The barrel is tight push fit so is removable if it breaks but the cap had to be glued in.

Last edited:

ashaw

Simon
I am with Bruce, that is the best steampunk pen I have seen. Much better than some of the big name companies. Well done.
Alan

Si90

I thought some of you may like to see the raw parts of body of the pen. Not sure it's a good idea to show because looking back at the parts before ageing they look really nice. By the time they were soldered which you can't stop from tarnishing the brass it would be almost impossible to get them back to this state so I didn't even try.

Fantastic effort. What a cool pen.

I think that the aged and tarnished look is far superior than if the brass were polished and bright.

Bill

The Penguin

I thought some of you may like to see the raw parts of body of the pen. Not sure it's a good idea to show because looking back at the parts before ageing they look really nice. By the time they were soldered which you can't stop from tarnishing the brass it would be almost impossible to get them back to this state so I didn't even try.

I like the aging!

OZturner

Simon, This one is "Off The Planet".
The difficulties of heat distortion and decolourisation regrettably are a consequence, of the materials and procedures you are require to master and use to succeed.
It is just this, which places you Head and Shoulders, above us mere Pen Makers.
Your Vision, Conception, Skill, Craftsmanship and Determination, have all combined to create an Incredible Pen and Inspiration to others.
Congratulations seems too Inadequate,
Brian.

dtswebb

Simon,

A wonderful pen, highlighted I believe by the aged look. You have the ability to look at various materials and see a handcrafted writing instrument where others see a pile of parts.

I hope you continue to proudly show your creations.

Marko50

Simon, I just spent 30 minutes on your photobucket page. Your work is impeccable. Some of the best craftsmanship out there, hands down. Your brain must go a million miles a minute when you get into that creative groove! Incredible. Definitely a big fan.

Top Bottom