My latest slimline pens (WIP)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Band Saw Box

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Here are ten of latest slimline pens. I have Bloodwood, Lacewood, Kiaat, Camelthorn, (2) Paduck, Purpleheart, Wenge, Zebrawood, Marblewood. 5 will be Christmas gift for my co workers I'm letting them pick the pen they want. Any and all comments are welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 243
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodworkerdan

Hey Dan;

Like OZturner sez, the only thumbnail I see is of drilled blanks...however, I see a lot of potential there!

Cool name Dan!

Dan Harriman
Orange Texas

stonepecker

I also see the blanks drilled.

But by looking really close.......the pens are there. You just have to know what they will look like before turning them.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

ironman123

Nice collection you got started there Dan. Use a light touch, sharp tools oh yea (carbide) when turning wenge. (or was it palm) oh well, have fun. Is Evelyn the supervisor/quality control officer?

Ray

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks Ray for the tip for turning wenge, I took my time and it turned fairly nicely. I can't say I like the way it finishes as it seams to have a very open grain, even sanding through 12000 micro mess I didn't get the finish I was expecting or maybe it because it's such a dark wood. I'm not sure I would use it again. I still think it will make a nice looking pen and I'm sure who ever picks it out will think it great. I guess I'm a bit to picky about my woodworking.

Last edited:

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
You may be right about becoming a master but I'll need to make a few dozen more pens before I get to that point. I have learned a lot for folks like Mike (navycop) and Fred (PTownsubbie). I learned today that I really like the way tighter grain woods finish, they take a much higher gloss when using huts crystal coat.

Last edited:

PTownSubbie

You may be right about becoming a master but I'll need to make a few dozen more pens before I get to that point. I have learned a lot for folks like Mike (navycop) and Fred (PTownsubbie). I learned today that I really like the way tighter grain woods finish, they take a much higher gloss when using huts crystal coat.

Come on by when you can....you will learn a whole lot more. :biggrin:

Top Bottom